Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins PT fuel pump leak

spitzair ยท 2013-10-10 23:39

Hello everyone, Not quite sure if this is the right place for this, mods please move it if it's in the wrong spot... I've got a leak on the top of the fuel pump on my grader, it's a Cummins engine with the PT injection system. It's leaking from the big round thing with the slot in it... Is there just a seal I can replace in there? I'm afraid to open this thing because I have no idea what's under there. Are there gonna be balls, springs and pieces flying in all directions or is it just a cover of some description? The engine still runs great and doesn't lose prime even after sitting for a year. I'm hoping I can put a copper or similar gasket in there and stop the leak... Any insight would be great! Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Bluox2013-10-11 00:59

    Its a fuel filter cover.Get a new filter and replace it. Bob

  2. #2grandpa2013-10-11 05:50

    Bluox is correct.... nothing scary is gonna jump out and scare the bajesus out of you.

  3. #3kshansen2013-10-11 09:26

    Yep it's one of those well keep secrets about those PT pumps. There is a little screen type filter under that cover. Been a few years but I think there is a spring that holds it in place, nothing to take your face off like an old spring brake chamber. Might take a gentile tap or two with a small chisel to encourage it to move at first.

  4. #4spitzair2013-10-11 14:00

    Perfect, thanks guys! I'm gonna take it apart right now and head in to get one...

  5. #5mitch5042013-10-11 17:57

    I'll be danged, I never knew that.

  6. #6grandpa2013-10-11 20:19

    We all learn everday Mitch,,, if were not... were dead.

  7. #7shopguy2013-10-11 20:28

    Well put