Recently purchased an old Galion 160C grader that is needing lots of fix-up. The electrical system has been disconnected or removed over the years - only thing left was connection from batteries to the starter... push the solenoid by hand in order to start. I'm restoring the wiring, gauge panel, lights, heater, etc. I'm not familiar with the fuel solenoid that is on the Cummins PT injection unit. This one has TWO terminals on it and no wires. Doing a little research, I see that some of these systems have two coils inside the solenoid - one for 'pull' and one for 'hold'. So, is that the reason this one has 2 terminals? If so, which one is for pull, and which one is for hold? Have not seen any old wiring diagrams that show how this was hooked up originally, but I can figure out how to hook this up to the key switch and start switch I suppose if I knew more about the fuel solenoid.
I don't know anything about the specific solenoid you are referring to but I do know about pull and hold coils. I would carefully touch battery voltage to the terminals and see what they do. The pull coil will pull the solenoid in as soon as it is powered. Normally colored white in my world. The hold coil will not pull the solenoid in on its own but if you apply power to it and then pull it in with the pull coil, it will stay in until the power is removed. But if neither of these is hooked up, how is it running now, or is it a shutdown solenoid, in which case it should only need 1 wire?
Cummins PT fuel system pumps have a screw you can manually turn in to turn the fuel on. It is in case the solenoid goes bad you can make them run. I have only seen those coil with one hot wire and a ground.
These are a simple shut off solenoid one switched hot wire one ground .Power on fuel on ,power off fuel off. Or you can turn fuel off and on with the bypass screw. Bob
The second stud sometimes had a ground strap. I thank power went to the top stud. Others had an internal ground. Just put an inline fuse in a power wire and try it. If it blows try the other one. Take the plug out of the side and see if it pumps fuel. The solenoid could be bad and or need the other terminal grounded.
Yes, this solenoid does have a bypass screw on it. That is what the previous owner used to shut down the motor. The solenoid looks very similar to this one: I put an ohmmeter between ground and both terminals - had very low resistance to each terminal. I should do it again to see if one has a tiny bit of resistance compared to the other terminal. So, do you think this is a single coil solenoid or dual? Proper name for this is a "shutoff solenoid?" Thanks for your help.
As stated: Simple or single.
Yeah Simple, They don't build stuff like that anymore!
All the PT solenoids I ever saw only had a wire connected to the long terminal to power the solenoid to run. I could see that in some rare applications where the engine block is not grounded one would need to run a dedicated ground wire to the shorter terminal to get it to work.