My 1977 Michigan 55B has an Cummins V378. I'm looking for the engine serial number. Anyone know the location or could post pics of where the serial number is on a V378?
Welcome! First of all, glad to hear you own a Michigan 55. Do you have pictures of it? As for the engine's data plate, it's located on the bottom right side, next to pulley belts.
Ok, do you have any pictures of the area? Mine is a bit rusty and it's hard to make out the entire set. How many numbers are there supposed to be?
Here's an attachment. Is your machine a Michigan 55 or a Clark 55B? You can tell from the back, if there's a nameplate on the grille or on top of the hood.
It says Clark above the grill. Michigan on the hood. Thank you! I'll go check for that plate.
Some engine dataplate could be located on the lower right bank of the crankcase i.e. somewhere underneath the exhaust manifolds.
You're welcome. So your machine is a Clark 55B. Both Clark and Michigan belong to Clark Equipment Co., the main difference though are in nameplates and colors (wheel hubs, grille's nameplate, and other decals are in blue for Michigan).
Well I just went and looked. All that's left of my data plate is 3 rivets with the corner pieces leftover..... Any chance the number would be in another place? I'm planning on rebuilding the engine, and it seems to order correct parts I need the serial number. Even though it runs excellent I build engine's for a living so having fresh stuff is pretty normal around my place.
I cannot tell if your dataplate is missing or has been ripped off previously. I guess a good cleaning would show you more if there's an engine dataplate and therefore you'll get the chance to know if it's still readable or not.
Do you think a Cummins V-378-C is better than the alternative choice of a Detroit Diesel 4-53N on a Clark 55B?
Hear is a pic of what's left of my data plate.
I don't know for sure about loaders but on Clark skidders of that era they stamped a matching machine number in the frame toward the outside above the articulation joint. I think the right side as sitting on the seat and on the forward half. Mind might be fuzzy so check both sides front and back of the center pin. They were like a 1/2" tall numbers and fairly easy to see if the area is not covered in grease. EDIT: On the skidder the frames are a bit different as you sit on the front half instead of the rear so look around.
Yes that's the loader serial number. I need the engine serial number. There is a pad on the right side by the crankshaft pulley just above the oil pan that has a number stamped into it.... It's hard to read due to rust... I'll get pics tomorrow and maybe that is the engine serial number. The Cummins tech I talked to maybe a year ago claimed the serial/engine number is stamped in numerous areas for production reasons.... I was hoping to find said stamped numbers in an easier to read spot.
It's removed like I guessed. If you're lucky enough, it could be bolted elsewhere i.e. near pulleys.
Well I have no experience with the little Cummins engines, but I'd say for parts availability it would be hard to beat an old Detroit. They were used in just about anything one could imagine that needed something to turn, from a water pump to wheels on a tractor.
Little update on my V378 parts. My data plate was missing so I used the PromTehServis parts list for small cam V378. I used those part numbers and orderd everything from Globalpartszone.com I did sleeves, pistons, rings, upper gasket set, rod and main bearings to do an in frame build. I also rebuilt the heads, I can do this all in house cause I run an engine machine shop. She has twice the power now! Word of caution, don't use the V555 head torque specs. Use V378/V504 specs. Anyone need more info on what I did just hit me up!
Contemplating rebuilding a V 504 right now. I am also debating a repower with a Detroit. I'm leaning toward the latter. Never had much luck with the Cummins V engines.
I like the power of the V series. Thinking about adding a turbo but since the freshen up it definitely doesn't need any more power! It was strong before but having a few turbos laying around and a machine shop in house got me thinking. No plans of it as of now, Probably never will.
Good afternoon everyone ... new to the forms but was hoping you guys might have some info i need. im working on a 1982 Champion Road Grader and cant find the rocker arm tourqe specs and the sequince to tighten the 4 bolts down. also was wondering if there was a specific direction the injectors should be installed? Another mechanic pulled it apart and left. the motor is a Cummins V-378-C manufacter date of 7/82. The ESN is scrached right at the begining of the numbers and i dont see a plate where you guys have described in this post. Thanks for any help!
This is an old thread from 2017 and the people involved haven't been on the forum in over a year.
injectors go in any way rocker torque is around 90 ft lbs I think as long as you have 1/2 inch bolts you would be good with that torque
I seen that was just hoping it was a start wasn’t sure how it all worked thanks tho