Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins V504

Billb337 ยท 2021-06-04 17:46

Does anyone have a shop manual for a Cummins V504 I need to see the injector set up procedure fo9r this engine

Replies12
  1. #1Dave Neubert2021-06-04 18:30

    I might I will have to look I believe you turn engine until injector is fully depressed then torque it to 60 inch pounds it has been a wile so I might be off on the torque

  2. #2Billb3372021-06-05 09:58

    Thanks any help would be appreciated

  3. #3Bluox2021-06-05 15:21

    Your crank pully will be marked with the valve set position such as 1-6 VS at this mark set the valves on which ever set of valves are loose and the injector. rotate crankshaft in direction of rotation to next mark and set every thing should have all set in 2 rotations. Good luck Bob

  4. #4Billb3372021-06-14 17:40

    When I set the injector at the VS mark to 60 inch pounds I rotate toward the next VS mark and the injector push rod has more travel toward injection. Ultimately the engine locks at that point. I set the injectors to zero lash with success but upon acceleration the engine blows grey smoke indicating under fueling. Any thoughts. I have seen a procedure using a dial indicator to get the injector lob to top of travel and then set the torque. Have you every seen this problem or procedure?

  5. #5Dave Neubert2021-06-14 18:07

    You only set valves on the vs there is a chart to tell you witch injector when on the valve setting do not adjust the injector that says the valve setting example VS 1-6 you adjust what ever is on compression stroke but you adjust a different injector. Sorry I did not look for my manual I will try to get you the adjusting order if you have adjusted the injector improperly there is a good chance you have popped the tip off the injector better pull them and check. I have done many of these but it has been a wile

  6. #6Bluox2021-06-14 21:48

    On any VS mark you set the valves on the cyl. that is on compression stroke ie. the valves will both be closed .On this cyl. you set the injector with your torque wrench .Then go on to the next VS mark , you have to roll the motor over trice to set all the injectors. There is another method that uses a dial indicator and a tool to set the injector stroke on the low side of the cam ,I don't have that info. Bob

  7. #756wrench2021-06-15 09:49

    outer base circle of the fuel injection lobe on the cam use the torque wrench method and the inner base circle method use the dial indicator method(plunger travel) but you need the valve set/injector set chart, dial indicator and the lever tool to hook on the injector rocker lever to stroke the plunger needle to measure the travel with the dial indicator. as said before, if you use the wrong VS position, you could bend a pushtube

  8. #8Billb3372021-06-15 18:36

    When a particular injector is set, should it not be at the injection point or maximum stroke. As I stated earlier when I set the injector with the torque wrench method and start to rotate to the next vs mark the push rod of the injector that was just set will continue to travel into a depressed position. Should it not be at max travel at the vs mark. I do understand that the position of vs1 for instance does not mean set injector 1. I am following the table. I hate to sound dumb but is it possible that I was sent the wrong injectors?

  9. #9Bluox2021-06-15 19:49

    Yes you are . Lets say your VS mark says 1-6 ,you check the valves on 1 and 6 . Which ever one has both valves closed both rockers loose set the injector with torque wrench. turn to next VS mark and set 1 injector on which ever cyl. has both valves closed ,turn to next VS mark and set 1 injector . there is no chart involved . Bob

  10. #10Billb3372021-06-17 18:01

    I need to watch what information I work with. I was given torque specs and the table that I referenced before. I found reference to an ST-1207 which is the service tool for the dial indicator method. I will time based on vs marks only and it should clear my problem. Thanks for putting my head in the right position.

  11. #11DMiller2021-06-17 19:15

    504 is same spec as 555, may be easier to find one of those service manuals.

  12. #1256wrench2021-06-18 11:22

    the first little V8 was the 470. then the 504 and finally the 555. my dad had a 470 in a Versatile 145 tractor that threw a rod at 400hrs. at that time cummins only warrantied based on mileage or so he was told. he had to pay 1/2. he had that tractor for about 7 years after. i spent more hours than i care to remember on that tractor. it was only a marginal tractor at best. that engine would start to lug down if it even saw a hill. but at that time it was about the cheapest articulated 4WD on the market