Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Curiosity on machines

DMiller ยท 2012-11-27 07:16

I currently own a loader with a 4 in 1 bucket so I use it as a dozer to skim sod as I prep for foundations or roads, it seems up to the task in dirt but the three bar(almost slick) grouser pads just don't bite to push anything as trees, I am afraid to put dozer grousers on it as it is a shuttle shift and getting weak from all the years on it (1970 build). I have to admit it is an Allis, it has been good to me so far but it just not cutting it in the wood, is a dozer the answer?

Replies4
  1. #1rockbreaker22012-11-29 00:53

    A dozer would better for foundations & roads, the loader is better for pushing trees because you can push higher up on the tree and then pick it up and move it with the 4 in 1. as far as the grousers go I would weld a bar or two on each pad.

  2. #2CM19952012-11-29 06:53

    Personally I prefer I loader, especially clearing. My 953 has double bar grousers, grips nicely. I would consider rockbreaker's suggestion and weld two bars on your pads if that's feasible. BTW - I know a lot of guys in my area that made a good living with an Allis loader.

  3. #3DMiller2012-11-29 11:17

    Thanks guys, I am going to add rebar extensions to the pads and see if that helps on the push bite, may have to get another trans and get it overhauled just in case. It aint a pretty machine but functional

  4. #4spitzair2012-11-29 19:59

    What I wouldn't give for a 4 in 1 bucket on my 977H... After having had a D6 9U and now the 977H, I wouldn't go back, in fact, I sold my D6 because the loader is so much more versatile. To be fair, comparing the 977 to the old 9U isn't exactly comparing apples to apples but with all the things I can do with the 977 there isn't really anything I can't do with the 977 that I could do with the D6... That machine you have there looks great to me, I think welding some grouser bar to it will make quite a difference in the traction. I may do the same to my 977... Let us know how it works out.