Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Owner Operators

caleb7210 ยท 2012-11-27 00:08

Who all are owner operators out there, and how did you get started? I'm a junior in high school and would love to get my own dozer and maybe a hoe to run. I haven't decided what to go to school for after HS. Maybe AG or Business management. I love sitting in the seat of a tractor as we farm. But back to owner/operators I'm thinking I could start out on a Cat D6C or D, doing farm jobs. My grandpa ran dozer for probably 30 years for extra income off the farm but we never got our own machine. He's 78 years old, but would be willing to help get me started by teaching me his technique. I can get enough cash to make a down payment on the machine, but I would have to go in as parners on getting the truck and trailer. I think I could run 1000 hours a year and would probably spend $30,000 in fuel as a rough estimate. Also the going rate around here is $120/hour. Most of the operators are older guys,(age 50 plus, no offense to you all)so I believe there will be a need for a next generation of operators to build ponds, waterways, clear brush, ect... So what are your alls thoughts on a young guy wanting to get in? Any advice? I guess I could always lease a machine which is another option. Thanks, I really enjoy reading up on this forum!

Replies24
  1. #1dirtdobber12012-11-27 06:35

    Caleb, Go to school AND become an owner/operator. 1000 hours per year is only about 20 hours per week. Make earthwork your part time hobby while you pursue an education. There are some things that can put an end to an earthmoving company pretty quickly - bad economy, nasty lawsuit, federal pollution control and wetland regulations, etc. No one can take your education away. The thing about an education is this: Unless you are studying for a specific field of expertise (lawyer, doctor, CPA, etc.), your area of study isn't that important. Earning a degree demonstrates to prospective employers that you have maturity and capability to be trained. The knowledge you gain earning the degree is just an additional bonus. Get the degree, and hopefully you won't have to use it!

  2. #2robin yates uk2012-11-27 06:44

    good advice, I hope he follows it

  3. #3Dwan Hall2012-11-27 07:54

    Most business fail due to poor management. Your education in that area would always help.

  4. #4oldirt2012-11-27 08:24

    check around to see how much work you can actually depend on lining up, many farmers have found that older construction iron can be bought cheaply so they use that to keep their help busy. the dirt biz is not like it was 30 years ago.

  5. #5Greg2012-11-27 09:29

    I don't see how you will make a go of it at $120.00 on a D6C or D. Better get more like $150.00. I get $125.00 for D3.

  6. #6johndeere1232012-11-27 10:09

    I'm not sure i'd go with a university degree. If you are serious about working construction, I would recommend a community college. A mechanic, or welding, or engineering tech course, or even a business admin course will go a lot farther than a lot of university degrees when in comes to running your own construction business.

  7. #7caleb72102012-11-27 17:01

    Thats the way I'm leaning towards. I've thought about going to Linn tech for their diesel truck courses or maybe for a Cat tech and get sponsered by our local dealer, Foley. But I'm just not sure thats exactly what I want to do. I like turning wrenches but I'm not sure I love like I do watching guys turn dirt and running a tractor all day. I have also thought about getting my pipeline welding certification and getting my own machine and doing that. If all else I would probably go to college for Ag with an emphasis in business. Oldirt-Thats true the dirt business is very different now a days. Most big farmers I know have their own hoe, but then there are the small farmers that still need dirt work done to. An older owner/operator, he's 88 years old told me not to do it cause he could look out from where he lives and see 3 dozers working. This also made me think about my other thought of turning wrenches. There are a lot of diesel shops out there, but maybe only one of them is worth going to. I feel that way about the earthmoving business in my area. There may be a lot of operators out there now, but I think a few of them do sloppy work. I thought 1000 hours gave room for bad weather, and a bad year of not getting many jobs. It would be the minimum hours to make it work I think. I would in time, like others, build up my fleet of equipment. Anyway sorry bout the long reply. lol Thanks for your thoughts, keep them coming!!

  8. #8joedirtx2012-11-27 18:02

    I am 19 years old and own Joe Dirt Excavating I started out with a skidsteer! Now I have a Cat 303.5 and Cat 312! It is a hard business to be in you have to be good at math. Bidding a job is more common then per an hour. You have to think about insurance costs, Liability Insurance, Fuel. I mean anything is possible! Make sure you get a contract and rock clause aggreement or any unseen obstructions in the ground I would into a book called Estimating Excavation look it up it was 20 bucks! Good luck!

  9. #9DPete2012-11-27 19:45

    Good post joedirt, you have wisdom for a 19 year old. Math is the key to bidding, figuring volumes, cycle times , machine production, grades etc. it's all math and geometry. Along with math you need machine experience and common sense, problem solving, machine repair, basic engineering. I bought a D8H when I was 32 but had been in the field for 13 years. There are lots of ups and downs in the biz and you won't get rich quick, get yourself some seat time and a good education, more power to you.

  10. #1051kw2012-11-27 21:07

    Could you go to one of the local contractors and get some seat time? Help out and get some experience doing the same thing you are trying to do on your own.

  11. #11CDUB2012-11-27 22:21

    I've got a business management degree, but I think the few years that I worked laying pipe for a sewer contractor have been far more valuable. If I had skipped that step I doubt I would be in business today. I would advise to get a job with a good contractor even if it is just laboring to start with and pay attention to what, how, and why things get done. I've learned as much from watching a good effecient operator as I have with my butt in the seat.

  12. #12caleb72102012-11-27 22:32

    I've called a couple companies, but none returned my calls. I guess I haven't been persistant enough, but I don't want to be annoying. Its hard finding people that are willing to put up with a greenhorn kid to help him out. About the bidding, from what I've noticed around here most work is charged per hour.

  13. #13caleb72102012-11-29 19:06

    Well I got a hold of a company. I turned in an application, I guess I'll wait and see. Here's the companies website. They didn't think they would be hiring anyone this winter.... http://bandpexcavating.com/

  14. #14DPete2012-11-29 20:47

    Patience caleb, you are young, you're current job is to get a good education that will give you a leg up on life. Check for work this summer even if it's cleaning up the shop.

  15. #15caleb72102012-12-06 00:16

    I know it just takes time, and who you know. Turns out the company I applied for, I had the office manager's son in my cabin at Church camp this summer(I was a counselor). I wouldn't mind a job helping in the shop or to be the company's grunt. On the education note, I'm taking a lot of college dual credit classes, so I can almost knock out a year of college in HS.

  16. #16tuney4432012-12-06 03:16

    That's not what we're referring to on bidding a job by the hour.You have to know basic math and how it applies to earthwork.You have to know how to read prints,understanding different soil types and what that will do to your schedule,etc.,etc.

  17. #17alaskaforby42012-12-06 11:09

    Gather as much experience as you can before you go out on your own. Once you start up your own business you will be relying solely on the knowledge you've learned. I would suggest working for someone else for a few years, keep a yes attitude and sponge up every technique and process you see and do. This worked for me anyway

  18. #18lowbed driver2012-12-06 19:42

    If you want to be an operator make operating your first concern. What I mean is,if you start pulling wrenches thinking you will become a good operator,you are wrong,you are becoming a good mechanic!Same goes for welding, I know this first hand.I spent my first 4 working years learning welding/fabricating and dreaming of operating.When I got in there I found no one could do what I did and thats what I kept doing a lot of the time.It is a 2 edged sword, I was kept around because of my skills but kept back as well,if that makes sense. If you want to own your own machine start with getting a degree(2yrs) in business or something similar. Then maybe try getting some education in civil engineering,lots of technologist courses out there.This should take you to 21-22yrs of age and then get in there and start burning diesel. One other thing.If you work for others,keep your mouth shut about owning your own machine.If they hire you and are willing to show you things they may change their minds if they think they are training their future competition.This is true,I know this first hand as well. Cheers and good luck. LD.

  19. #19alaskaforby42012-12-06 20:07

    Very true, just dont get too good at welding and wrenching or you will never leave the shop!

  20. #20D6 Merv2012-12-07 00:44

    Tis a double edged sword Caleb. If you want to go owner operator. you,ve got to know what makes machinery tick. You cannot go down the road of paying off a machine and paying [asuuming you can find someone] someone to fix your machine. Plenty of guys want to go operating machines and they do, then something breaks down [they all do mate !!] and most of them find theyre as mechanically minded as a mouse. Have seen plenty of people go from spanners to operating. But very few the other way round. Yes some but not many. Thats a question only you can answer. What lowbed and alaska say is very true too, just a matter of finding the right guy to work for. I was same as you 30 yrs ago. Was gunna have my own dozer come hell or hi water. But decided i better find out what makes them tick. So got a diesel mechanics apprenticeship with the local cat dealer [yes i was exceptionally lucky] worked for them for 10 years, made some serious money too; alot more than just drivers would ! Actually got myself a cheap old 7U D4 dozer, fixed it up and was lucky enough again to get a little job on a tiphead, 1 day a week. In the meantime was working for a contractor; operating and fixing machines. Small outfit about 60% driving 30% fixing, 10% farm work !! Had a 933G traxcavator i learnt to drive on, that made me think abit differently about doing things. Then went on a 12 ton digger and a near new D4E. Learnt alot about doing and pricing jobs; most of ours was hourly, not contract, but you had to make a good guestimate of the time required. After 8 years there got myself a real good late tidy D6D in a auction and decided to go working for myself. Yes had been looking for a few jobs for myself. Like the others said, keep your own aspirations and goals in life to yourself !! bosses dont like competition. Was lucky was abit of a boom time and had 8 good years of work and added abit to my collection. Towed scrapers are a very good addittion to dozers; no matter there size too ! Seat time; yours and watching others will give you a good idea of time for jobs; and as others have said, maths too. Alot of things to think about Caleb, how much compitions out there now, whats your economy like, and how much work do you honestly think you have or can get. 1000 machine hours is a hell of alot in my area. yours and others may be very different. But i would have thought if anyone thought they could get 1000hrs a year dzr work, Alot of people would already be chasing this work ?? But we all have to have dreams and ambitions mate; i did. So GO4It !! Last bit of advice is don,t get too far into debt It has to be a managable debt. Thanks to the spanners i paid cash 4 mine. Also i was unlucky too; Girls didnt like me so that saved alot of money !!! lol Remember if its got **** Tyres or Tracks its gunna cost you money !!! Cheers from the bottom of the world. Merv :drinkup

  21. #21joedirtx2012-12-08 22:41

    Dan nice website! Your site looks awesome. The website was very professional easily understood and quick to the point I like it. I started out with a rake and a shovel probably much like yourself. My father has been in the Construction Business unfortunately we did not have the experience on major excavation. We hired the excavating for major excavation. I have been intrigued by heavy equipment since I could remember walking. It is a passion of mine! This business can easily loose money. ( CALEB )The excavating part may look easy to you. Well, It can be but there is no excavation without an estimator. I was on my first job I was bidding for a parking lot and I was off one inch. It cost me around $2500 dollars for the extra truck loads and machine time. Wasted the best advice I can give you is to start hourly. Then I would start doing some small utility jobs for electricians or plumbers. Remember don't let anyone tell you It's not possible if you have a passion. GO FOR IT! Contracts are your friend! No handshakes.. Liability is to much of a risk! Caleb Best of Luck!!! Dan best of luck from Joe Dirt even thou you are an expert!

  22. #22caleb72102012-12-09 23:49

    Thank you everyone again for your input!! Keep your idea's coming! I have been currently working for one of my dad's friends that farms more than us, we got done cleaning out grain bins this past week. I see what some of you are saying, that if I want to be a good operator than that should be what I start out trying to do. I think I'm going to continue my eduacation after High School I just still really haven't decided what major to look into if I'm really wanting to be in the dirt business. I've thought a little about Ag, maybe animal science, or like a construction management type degree. Ok Company owners like - DPete, what do you look for in education and personality wise when you are hiring people? Whether it be for an operator or like a field foreman position? Thanks again for all the inspiration, my old man I feel is the only one that understands my dream of wanting to be an owner operator out of anyone in my family.

  23. #23powerjoke2012-12-10 23:00

    Trust me, in this area there are people that have priced themselves out of work at $120! ;-) Good call on the not keep bugging them, I know it irritates me ...... All I want is for a guy to turn in an app, we have 30-40 on file and as we need hands we look at the oldest date ones first. Caleb have you ever tried this company ? Www.stunzllc.com I know the guy I could let him know ur app is coming ;-) Pj

  24. #24caleb72102012-12-10 23:34

    powerjoke-I live about 40 miles from Stunz, however my grandpa lives and farms in Clinton! I think I'm going to try to apply with the companies in the surrounding Sedalia area(within 15 miles of town) first because I live with my mom there. If that doesn't work out then I'm going to try some companies in Carrollton, MO because my dad lives up there and I could move in with him for the summer. As there are several pipeline construction companies in Carrollton. This one just built a new shop down the road from my dad's farm, the owner goes to my dad's church too.... lol http://creasonpipeline.businesscatalyst.com/ You can see pics on there of their new office/shop, its REALLY nice. All else I could try the company in Clinton and live with my grandpa, but he can be rather challenging sometimes to get along with. But I want to thank you for the idea and another option!