Was whining of the truck I have been using deciding to eat a DPF sensor then having to have multiple forced regens to where it required a DPF cartridge change. Well the boss is fighting his instincts as to selling perfectly good, decent condition beds dump trucks with low miles as emissions component down time is loading the expenses and cutting profits margins for the entire company. Markets to sell these are tightening, buyers want to see every record and every repair receipt and are gun shy of emissions engines. New machines are becoming prohibitive cost wise. So how can the industry continue as this grows outward in all directions??
It can't and that's what the fruits and nuts want. The whole push is towards "alternative" fuels. ie hydrogen or batteries or whatever other boondoggle some congressmen have invested in. The world keeps spinning, the air just waits for America to come by and clean it up
That's where the warranty comes in-don't run out the warranty before trading in or selling. It will sell if warranty is left. When we sell ours the repair folder goes with it. Plus all major repairs can be pulled up by dealer.
Really the problem is getting parts to repair what there is. Utility has 800 plus 53'ers setting at factory in Utah waiting for wiring harnesses and marker lights.
Man that with all the microchip issues really sucks.
Here it seems your options are sell before warranty is up, or have the emissions fall off if that isn't an option.
I spent some big money on tires last week 240 trailer tries {122 Toyo's 120-RY023 Yokohama's 120} that's all either place could round up. $385 ea with FET. Carrier fuel, oil and air filters are SOL. I bought everything KW had in Baldwin, the air filters are Carrier, damn near zero in inventory nation wide. I'm setting on 25 with 25 on order. Winter is coming so engine hours will slow down. Brake pads I finally received 25 sets at $211 with freight. All parts are special order so freight is involved on each piece. Hold on to your wallet at the Grocery Store freight rates are climbing.
When I bought my Deere 320L backhoe, the Deere mechanic told me that by the L series, Deere had re-engineered all of the bugs out of the design EXCEPT the DEF system. He warned me not to touch it. He advised waiting until the Def tank was almost empty, and then add a brand new, unopened jug of DEF to the tank. Then discard what’s left. He suggested that most of his service calls were Def problems.
I was also told that oil and filters were going to be in short supply, and that I should buy when I could, rather than when I needed them. I have the parts for my next one year service on the shelf already.
People here thought me nuts buying parts from KW they consider as standard inventory early, as when the parts man said buy now for the air bags. Seems there are now a number of older rigs in the area that need air ride bags and cannot find one, are on Back Order. Really weird as to the trailers in UT, why waiting on marker lights or harness, would those not be made here? Been explained to the shop I am out of now the same issue with DEF in the trucks, await the low light if at all possible before refiling, seems the ammonia urea base volatizes off over time and with heat(Same heat to keep from freezing) where the mix becomes dilute where will not suffice to create the reaction in the system.
The standard markers are Grote, Truck Lite makes one similar which you have to trim Grote pigtail to fit. But those are getting in short supply. The harnesses are made by Phillips. It's gotten tough all the way around, I spend X amount of time on the phone each day sourcing parts.
#metoo lol I feel like a parts guy lately and hate myself
When call Jim's Pacific and Vetech answers the phone at the parts counter-I just know my order will be wrong.
If I know its you I'm doing it on purpose! LOL
You thought you had us fooled-why you've been a slacker all along and hiding it. You slacker you.
Have to ask Have semiconductors actually done that much to better our lives? With this shortage issue it also highlights what can happen during a Solar EMP event where the world simply shuts down due to chip destruction Does every mechanism man uses Have to have microchips? Why can we not live in a simplified world with simple machines and simple ideology?
Because that would be too simple.
I hear ya.
Simple solution is really not that simple in the simple world of government overreach.
Way too often it seams to me that those designing things, from a toaster to a major piece of mining equipment feel compelled to use fancy electronic do-dads to do simple things like control the speed of a motor or pop the toast out when it is just right shade of brown. Like my wife's Nissan Rouge. To adjust the speed of the defroster fan you push the button to raise the speed but the fan slowly increases the speed in a nice smooth rate. Now on an old car or truck the rotary switch had four or five detents with each one having a different resistance coil connected to it or none for high speed. Nice and simple with only one or two moving parts. In a pinch one could take out the switch and hook up a simple toggle switch to get it working till you could buy the right switch. Hate to think what would happen if you tried a work around on something like that these days!
Think about electronic control on a dozer transmission in a standard power shift machine. Why was it felt that a computer was needed to be used for three gears forward and three in reverse?
Really it's about the industry hog tying the public into thinking that they need and can't survive without their lives being controlled by the convenience of electronic devises.
Not at my table, ain't nobody overreaching to get that last piece of beacon.
The computer does several things. 1. It impresses the purchasing guy at medium to large companies. He thinks "latest" and "advanced" and "technology" are good words. How silly of him. 2. It makes the machine more difficult for average mechanics to troubleshoot and fix. It is proprietary so it generates lots of aftermarket service and parts sales for the manufacturer. 3. It makes average mechanics look like fools to the owner sometimes because they can't figure out its poorly documented, proprietary behavior. It drives service back toward the dealership. 4. When the machine nickel and dimes (or $1,000 and $10,000s) the owner to death, it gets junked because nobody can fix it, and keeps the hamster wheel going. The first one is intentional, the last 3 may be only consequential but there are perverse incentives. They may also be intentional depending on how evil the corporation is.
Quit beacon stingy & ham me another sausage patty.
Prime example-the cell phone-it's a life support system for 90% of the public- nothing more than a pacemaker.
For some driving and using, their ticket to the here after.
Ki yippy i yeah Sausage Patty!
Doesn't make sense. Give me a comfortable seat, radio, heat/ac, and that's all the features I need in a work truck or equipment. I am so happy that virtually all of my stuff has little to no electronics on it. Not to mention, there's just a feeling that's so much nicer when you're running equipment that's paid for that it makes it seem so much better instead of having endless payments because the new POS needs huge repairs for electronics. Only exception is I wouldn't say no to having some kind of grade control for the excavators tied into the machine, that would be really slick.
There is a way to outsmart them, just buy older stuff and keep it forever, obviously only an option for small guys. But it is more then that. So many shops don't want to work on older stuff, and so many people don't want to run older things either. I don't get it, most stuff made in the last 20 years is pretty decent to run.
Parts become a problem on older stuff.
Only got burnt once with the WS finding steer axle drums were insanely pricey, but other then that it's been good. I'd pay a bit more for the odd part like that then a $10000 DPF or electrical bill though. Or on the side of the road because a stupid sensor shut the truck down.
Because muh emissions will kill the world, oh and chips can have tiny radios built in that communicate and send tracking about us and what we do. Just one reason. Sound crazy? It's already happening with new appliances. Never buy a smart appliance. https://odysee.com/@RobBraxmanTech:6/radio:6 I sold my 2018 Super Duty dually after Ford sent me a letter offering me $100 to participate in a data collection program to "help serve customers better." The kicker was "no modifications to your vehicle are required" which means they probably are already tracking everywhere I go, how I drive, when I change my oil, etc. Big Tech is creepy ** and getting worse. I just found another 7.3 PSD dually to replace the 2018. My sons are into the IDI trucks and I'm catching the bug too. Did you know an IDI block is the same for the turbo model? All you need to convert is rods, wrist pins, pistons, and an external oil line to lube the turbo. Of course you should also sleeve the bores because of the offset core issue that affects about 10% of all 444 IDI blocks. An IDIT makes as much power as a stock gen1 7.3 PSD did. Add an intercooler and you're over 6.0 power, but with anvil like reliability. Classic Diesel Design in San Antonio already offers a 250cc IP, and is working on a 300cc pump that they think should give 800 hp. Not for me, but a solid 500 would be nice. No chips, no computers, simple tech like old tractors. Sorry to go OT. Carry on, gentlemen.