Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Current way to find O/Os for equipment hauling in midwest? Sites, FB, CL?

fastline ยท 2026-06-06 19:03

I refuse to talk to brokers. I have some repeat work going south out of KC and some coming out of OK. Trucking has, and always will be, the biggest PITA ever. Never has been a good way to network with these guys. I'd really like to connect with anyone running as an O/O. Primary interest is RGN, hydro dove, Landoll, etc, but occasionally need to move something on just a step deck or dove tail, hell even goods on a flatbed. I sure love curtain side, but I hear that is astro price! Rubber tire and track machines. I'd probably talk to a real company, but they need to own the trucks. Again, brokers are out.

Replies14
  1. #1Deere500a2026-06-06 19:39

    You need a independent not a truck owner pulling a trailer. Independents are true carny motorheads have disappeared. Trailer's needed/requirements can't run one

  2. #2Deere500a2026-06-06 19:47

    As a company driver 20 yrs ago Ch Robinson was a solid Broker to work with maybe the best at the time.

  3. #3CM19952026-06-06 20:45

    How far are you needing to move stuff? Here we have several towing outfits that have RGN's and Landolls that move our iron around our metro area. They also go all over the southeast moving equipment. Any outfits like that in your area? No brokers we deal with them directly.

  4. #4Truck Shop2026-06-06 20:49

    Most as of moment in time, if they have a regular trip won't spoil for a few loads. If it's a consistent haul that changes things. What you are looking for is someone in need of a return haul.

  5. #5fastline2026-06-06 20:53

    In general, about 150-250mi. I think the issue I ever ran into is when cold calling, I just get the 'moon price', and I remove them from the list. Not that Im looking for cut throat, but need to be in range. I have to eat too. BUT, certain factors play in like "discount for scheduled or flexible". Im also hugely flexible with any trucker. I tell them "midnight on a Sunday, just give me notice, we will do it". I know those guys just want to offload and free their schedule and sleep. Im down to only two locals. One is more of a towing service and they price that way. Other is an RGN only, but he is an ace behind the wheel. Problem is he is not in any sort of "recovery" type biz so I try to meet guys where they are not send him after something that may not start. I did get the boot from another forum just for friggin asking though! Literally 15 years there, and they banned me. I find it odd. Im not asking for a trucker, Im asking where to go look for them. If I know how they get business, maybe I can find them easier. ALL the truckers Ive ever used were word of mouth, not on the maps.

  6. #6fastline2026-06-06 20:57

    Probably, but I rarely ever get that to work other than when I had some bulk material moved in with a walking floor. My area just does not ship much out, so we get screwed trying to bring stuff in. I'm always torn if I need a guy at the pu or dn to better align the job. I know of nearly constant new equipment leaving here and going north BUT i've personally watched them and they purposely use std flat decks just to save on this mess.....lol Smart.

  7. #7Truck Shop2026-06-06 21:13

    Trouble is right now with fuel costs and bidding hauls even with fuel surcharges, all are going to bid with alot of flexibility if on their game. * My old employer dropped all Lamb Weston/Con Agra hauls. Because Lamb Weston went with J.B. Hunt. LW turned the whole show over to JB, and JB wanted to sub parts to the company, because they didn't have the proper tractors/trailers tailored to do the contract. Boss told them to stick it, and upped his hauls with Simplot. The bigger the company the worse it is. There are a few decent brokers but it's a needle in a haystack.

  8. #8fastline2026-06-06 21:23

    Yep, fuel is huge right now. Being around heavies, I also know the equipment is not cheap, I get it. This is where I try to work with a guy. I've done a simple offload at 3am. I think rolling empty is the biggest bite in the ass though. Im in in the biz to know how to get someone another haul. Someone asked about continuous biz. I would not consider my stuff 'continuous', but lets say repeat customer for years.

  9. #9Deere500a2026-06-08 22:27

    Worldwide Transportation Solutions | ATS Commercial shipping is complicated. At ATS, we help make the process simple so you look great in front of your customers. www.atsinc.com

  10. #10fastline2026-06-08 23:25

    I talked with one local broker I know personally. He indicates like 10% above the truck rate is what they charge? However, I sort of question those backside deals. I'm still looking for an actual load board these days where I can post the load and just know, but it's always a mess doing this.

  11. #11Deere500a2026-06-08 23:36

    ATS is a rgn/flatbed fleet,most of the wind mill blades they haul. I think they have a load board besides in house broker

  12. #12Deere500a2026-06-08 23:50

    ATS freightmatch is there load board.

  13. #13terex herder2026-06-09 08:32

    Talk to some of your local farm equipment dealers. It seems they all have set up a separate truck fleet and some will haul outside loads when they are not busy. They do know oversize loads.

  14. #14Truck Shop2026-06-09 20:43

    Basically--a hungry gypo anchor clanker.