Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Custom BOCE & Bolt-On Teeth

StumpyWally · 2018-04-05 17:29

Some time ago in another thread on HEF I read where someone had added a bolt-on-cutting-edge (BOCE) & weld-on teeth to refurbish a skid bucket. That seemed a good idea that I wanted to try to refurbish my old compact utility tractor bucket as well as add to my much newer skid bucket. So, I decided to first try it on my old 60" tractor bucket. But I wanted to use bolt-on teeth, so I could add/remove the teeth as needed to yield both a smooth edged bucket & a toothed bucket. I had considered using a bolt-on tooth bar, but I quickly dismissed that idea because the tooth bar added more weight than I wanted, was expensive, & did not offer any variety of teeth. I explored bolt-on teeth adapters & teeth from Esco, Hensley, & Cat. Those were the only ones I could find any decent dimensions for. I originally looked at a double-lipped adapter style for strength, but soon found I could not find any that fit the bucket lip configuration that I had. So, I backed off to a single-lip adapter style, & finally found a Hensley-style of adapter & teeth from Fabco (a subsidiary of Werk-Brau) that offered the dimensions I needed, as well as the smaller size & reasonable pricing I was after. A x-section of the bucket that shows my refurbish design is as follows: The overall result that I was trying to achieve is shown below: The other key to making this work was to find the right BOCE (shown in yellow in the above diagrams). I gave up trying to find a standard one & accepted the fact that I needed a custom one made to my dimensions. I quickly discovered that there was no one in my region that could make a hardened steel cutting edge with countersunk-square-punched holes for plow bolts. Working thru Andersen Equipment in Albany, NY, I was able to design & order exactly what I wanted from Black Cat in Canada, who wholesales to ITR America, who finally deals with Andersen. My final price was about $243, which wasn't too bad. The hard part to swallow was the additional $96 for shipping, which added nothing to the design!!! Total time from my order to pickup was about 7 weeks. In order to minimize weight, I wanted the thinnest & narrowest BOCE. 1/2" is the thinnest that can have square plow bolt holes, & the closest the 5/8" hole can be to the back edge is 1". Hence. the 1/2"-thick by 6.5"-wide BOCE, & the reason I didn't opt for a reversible BOCE. As it is, I'm adding about 117 pounds to the dead-weight of my bucket & reducing my net lift capacity by the same amount. But. prior to ordering the BOCE, I ordered the Fabco bolt-on adapters, teeth, & vertical roll pins thru Andersen Equipment. They only took about a week to get. It was important to get these in-hand to verify the dimensions before I could confidently design & order the BOCE. Andersen had all the domed-5/8"-diameter Grade-8 plow bolts in stock...& their price was the best I could find. Let me acknowledge right now that none of this would have been as easy...or maybe even possible...without the experience, patience, & help of the Parts Manager at Andersen, Jim Scudder. He was a pleasure to deal with...& I'm the 1st one to admit that I can be a fussy PIA, & proud of it!! A summary of my costs & weights for the parts is as follows: So, finally pictures of the assembly & the real thing follow: The underside of the BOCE. Note the square plow bolt holes.

Replies6
  1. #1StumpyWally2018-04-05 17:34

    The top side of the BOCE. Note the beveled cutting edge. End of the BOCE. Note the bevel cutting edge on the right side. The aluminum filler bar. Close up of the aluminum filler bar showing 1 of the 2 channels milled to clear the bucket wear bars.

  2. #2StumpyWally2018-04-05 17:38

    Bucket with existing weld-on cutting edge cut back & 14-5/8" dia. holes drilled. Side view of existing bucket. Bucket, filler bar & BOCE prior to assembly. Filler bar (underneath) & BOCE installed for a smooth edge bucket. (Note, in this & subsequent photos, the apparent bow up in the top of the bucket is just a optical illusion in the photos.)

  3. #3StumpyWally2018-04-05 17:39

    BOCE with bolt-on adapters & teeth installed. I chose the 3 different styles of teeth shown both for variety & function. End view of bucket with BOCE & teeth.

  4. #4heymccall2018-04-05 21:33

    Not sure what you use your bucket for, but, I've had bolt on toothbars, welded on adapters, and smooth edge buckets, yet, today, all my buckets have the Rezloh style edge. Certainly a little more money that what you have in parts, but, nowhere near the labor. BTW, your skills and the result look awesome.

  5. #5StumpyWally2018-04-06 13:47

    HeyMCall...I agree that a Rezloh edge is a great solution, but it would have been more $$, & I wanted to be able to remove the adapters & teeth for those times that I need/want a smooth edge bucket. As for the work, well I'm retired, so I have the time to be busy with all kinds of "fun" projects. This one was minor compared to my many-year complete house renovation/rebuild (still on-going). But the work keeps me active & healthy & is, I guess, my hobby. Thank you for your compliment on my skills & result, & I enjoy reading your posts on HEF that clearly demonstrate your knowledge & experience. To be honest, the steel hole drilling on the bucket & the milling on the aluminum spacer bar was done for me for a modest fee, with me helping, by a farmer/mechanic friend of mine whose has some of the tools that I don't have. Like thank God for his mag drill or I would still probably be drilling the 5/8"-dia holes in the bucket!!! Not to mention his milling machine....

  6. #6Graham12018-04-06 15:29

    Very interesting. I need to do similar to my 4 in 1 for my mini loader. Didn’t know such a good variety of bolt on teeth existed. Will investigate to see if available here in UK or need to import them. Would rather not import due to the extra cost and the fact that it don’t use it that often. Mainly use a straight edge high capacity bucket for loading sand. Graham