I am looking to take a old bush hog and fit it with a hydraulic motor and a mount that will allow me to use it on my bobcat x331 mini excavator to mow embankments and hard to reach areas. I'm trying to find a motor that I can mount to the existing bush hog gear box that will spin at about 540 rpm but a little more wouldn't hurt. I am looking at hydraulic motors in motion industries catalog but they don't give many specks other than port size. I could use some input on what motor would work best.
Check out Surplus center. First you must know what the flow rate of your machine is. Then you find the displacement size that will produce the rpm you desire. You will have to plumb in a check valve because you will not be working off a motor spool. I think it is surpluscenter.com
2 thumbs up for surpluscenter.com .
A bush hog on a mini is a potentially deadly setup. Even with proper shielding, rocks and sticks will go flying. Bush hogs are safe on tractors and skid steers because the plane that the blades are spinning on is always below the operator. Mounting a bush hog on an excavator will allow the blades to throw objects, shrapnel, rocks and other forms of death towards the operator's seat. PLEASE reconsider your choice of mower. A flail mower is much safer mower to put on an excavator. A flail mower throws the debris back at the ground, not laterally.
Have several around here to cut the sides of the highways and they work fine. Just have chain hanging around the edge so stuff doesn't fly too much. Couple are on tractors, couple on front end loaders.
Mounting to a tractor or wheel loader is entirely different than an excavator! It seems like a low cost attachment that would work well, until someone is killed.
I know a guy in Seattle who built one.He had to beef it up a little,but it works great.
I was thinking of building something similar for my Gradall. Maybe I'll reconsider a standard mower. The safety points are well taken, I can see how that could get VERY nasty. That being said, I know that a few people make standard blade type mowers intended for excavators and Gradalls. Are they doing something to positively prevent flying debris from coming back at the machine? I would think that as long as the cab-side guard was lower than the blades (by a decent amount) there's no way the blade could throw something back at the machine. Is that what they are doing on other mowers?