Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Customise your ride?

NorthRun Grader ยท 2015-03-25 17:41

How many of you have customized your ride? My former employer allowed us a certain amount of leeway in making additions as long as it was fully removable with no trace, so no drilling or cutting holes! Now I have a newer 160M on the way and I'm making up a list of mods for creature comfort. 1. Upgrade the stereo, Bluetooth Compatible for handsfree calling, USB port for my Ipod, and aux jack for the Satellite radio. 2. Wilson Sleek 4C Cell phone Booster for our 4G phones. 3. Sirius Satellite Radio. 4. Garmin GPS for every oilfield lease I have ever worked on since day 1. I have now worked for 5 different Companies and 13 different fields. 5. Tool Box hung from the neck, the M tool box is useless in the winter! 6. Shovel, Snipe, Tire Chain Tool, Aligning Bar holder. 7. Tire Chain Holder. 8. Custom shelf above the rear view mirror. 9. 8" Convex mirrors below both side mirrors. 10. I may upgrade a few lights to 4" LED, as it made a huge improvement on my 160H in the past. 11. 2-way Motorola radios. A requirement for the oilfield as we share the roads with haul trucks, logging trucks and the 4 wheelers. I'll try to document them as they go on. Now you poor guys that have to share units, feel free to get all jealous. The only time we get short days is doing spring break up, so on average we are running 12-17 hrs, including our 1 hr travel each way to get to the field. It makes a huge difference in the length of the day if you can just plug in the iPod or satellite radio, instead of just listening to all the trash talk on the 2-way all day long. We've had to go to the handsfree as the new oilfield operators would rather dispatch via cell phone then by 2-way. Our fields are spread out enough that some days I don't even see them. And the booster is almost mandatory as the signal gets lost in some of our hills.

Replies9
  1. #1mitch5042015-03-25 20:12

    What's a snipe?

  2. #2Mike L2015-03-25 21:18

    its a bird that lives on the coast :stirthepot

  3. #3cuttin edge2015-03-25 21:46

    I keep a roll of toilet paper just in case. Other than that, if I ever win the 649, all I have to take out of her is my lunch can.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2015-03-25 23:22

    It's a piece of pipe used to either lengthen the handles on ratchet's and strongarms, or slipped over boomers to close them. Sometimes they get slipped over the handles on crescent wrenches and pipewrenches too, but that's probably pushing it a bit.

  5. #5mitch5042015-03-26 01:33

    Oh, OK. Around here, that's an "extra man"

  6. #6Cat 140M AWD2015-03-29 16:19

    I've customized the machines I run mainly put new lights on them so I can work after dark here's a few pictures of the lights Ive added I put Led lights on the back of the 772CH I run makes a big difference I also put 2 up front can really see good working after dark with them.

  7. #7biggrader2015-03-30 21:25

    CAT 140,nice lights, but the ten million dollar question, what brand of LED light are you running. I blade a dirt track every week and when you start at 11:00 p.m. and working on a black dirt track the normal lights just seem to disappear into the abyss

  8. #8Cat 140M AWD2015-03-30 23:19

    BiggraderI'm using the Lampus Cruser Cree LED lights the website I'm getting them off of is Onlineledstore.com all there lights on there are extremely durable and put out lots of light well worth putting them on

  9. #9Fatgraderman2015-03-30 23:41

    Hey Northrun. How "Central" when you say central Alberta?