Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The grader that went squirt

cuttin edge ยท 2015-03-25 22:00

Just want to pick the brains of any Champion drivers. We used to have a 1990 730A. I think it had about 21000 hours on it when they got rid of her. Transmission never slipped, but when you walked her down the road, she used to put oil out the vent behind the cab. It got so bad that they put a small tank with a vent at the back of the cab to hold the oil, and let it drain back into the transmission. I was showing a young fella how to run her once, and noticed that when he changed direction, you could hear a hiss of air coming from the vent. Anyone ever experience something like that. She has a new home now, but I never found out what was wrong, and have always wondered.

Replies8
  1. #1ericscher2015-03-25 23:03

    Generally speaking, when an internal combustion engine is puking oil it means the crankcase has become pressurized.

  2. #2Fatgraderman2015-03-25 23:18

    My guess is if you took the filler cap for the transmission off while it was running, the level on the sight glass would come a way up too. On the newer ones, that little cover under the clutch (my memory is a little foggy, but I think the big drainback hose went to it) had an oil scraper or "windage" scraper on it, and the old ones didn't. The oil would get spinning around in the clutch. Never heard of one bad enough that it was puking oil though.

  3. #3cuttin edge2015-03-26 07:40

    The vent for the clutch, and the main transmission, were 2 lines into one. At one point, they separated the 2 lines in order to see if the pressure was in one or the other, and it turned out to be the transmission line. The oil only came out in high gear, when you were walking somewhere. Don't forget that those transmissions had a fill plug, just above the sight glass, so you could never operate her with it out without losing oil anyway.

  4. #4cuttin edge2015-03-26 07:42

    Keep in mind that I'm talking about the transmission, not the engine.

  5. #5ericscher2015-03-26 07:50

    Wow. I really do need more sleep...

  6. #6Fatgraderman2015-03-26 09:51

    I had forgotten that that one had a fill plug. But I didn't mean to suggest that even if it had the filler hose, it was being ran without cap/ plug. Just that the oil level bounced around in them so bad.

  7. #7cuttin edge2015-03-26 17:33

    I understood what you meant, I just meant that at idle, there was not a lot of fluid movement, and that she only spits up at full speed, so it would be hard to watch the level in the glass. No matter how you filled it. Although management sometimes figures the boys should be able to fix them while they are moving.

  8. #8Fatgraderman2015-03-27 12:31

    Does make me wonder if the exchanger/ cooler was completely doing it's job. All the old Champ's I ran would heat up a bit high blading in the summer time. Maybe she's all related.