Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cutting a bucket to see the edge

bdog1234 ยท 2015-09-04 00:46

I have two buckets for my skid steer. One is tiny but you can see the edge making it a breeze to operate. The other is much larger (wider and deeper) but the back is about 3" too tall preventing the operator from seeing the edge. I have used it so much I have a feel for it and it doesn't bother me much but my guys struggle with it and hate using it. I wish they would though as the added volume means more productivity provided you are not digging in or going over the top of things. I have thought about cutting out a notch in the back so the edge can be seen. Anyone ever done this?

Replies12
  1. #1Shimmy12015-09-04 00:49

    Most buckets have a header that provides structural support. Is it high enough you could cut a hole and cover it with expanded metal to provide a "window"?

  2. #2Ronsii2015-09-04 00:50

    Have thought about it for other things, never had a problem with a skid... what about giving the other guys a pillow to sit on

  3. #3digger242j2015-09-04 01:14

    Don't most employees want that already anyway?

  4. #4Nige2015-09-04 03:54

    Another vote for cutting a window in the back wall. Big loader buckets are all built like that. Make the hole as small as you can to get the visibility you need, as Shimmy says cover with expanded metal or maybe a couple of lengths of rebar.

  5. #5JNB2015-09-04 09:55

    Like Shimmy mentioned, most ss buckets have a hat channel at the top that provides the majority of structural support. I'd be careful with that. Maybe better to "borrow" a booster seat from the local Mickey D's and see how that works.

  6. #6bdog12342015-09-04 10:49

    Never thought about the window idea. That might work. On the low bucket the top is barely higher than the quick attach plate. There might be enough room for the window. I did notice the support across the top of the bucket and was going to add some bracing in if I notched it out. The big bucket has teeth and if I kind of sit up and lean forward an can barely see the tips of them and I am several inches taller than my other guys. I don't think a booster seat would help them much.

  7. #7ironjunkie2015-09-04 20:08

    Challenge your guy's and show them that you, an "operator" can use it fine, with a friendly "Rib" from you, calling them only "drivers". The good one's will take the challenge and run with it working on their skills. I would not cut the top structure portion of the bucket ever. A small hole as others have said under the main side to side support structure should not do any harm.

  8. #8movindirt2015-09-04 21:15

    What brand of bucket is it? What machine is it on?

  9. #9Delmer2015-09-04 22:01

    Is seeing the angle of the bucket good enough? Backhoe buckets have the flat on the ears close to parallel to the bottom of the bucket so you can judge the angle of the cutting edge when it's buried, maybe mounting a flat surface to the top that's parallel to the cutting edge, or an angle indicator like front end loaders have, would help them visualize what they're doing.

  10. #10bdog12342015-09-04 23:12

    It is a Deere 322 CTL. The small bucket is the one it came with. The bigger bucket is also a Deere but it is off a 332 I think. It is a foot wider and has a different profile.

  11. #11durallymax2015-09-07 14:40

    Why not trade it for a low profile if you need to see the edge?

  12. #12bdog12342015-09-08 01:29

    I guess I would if I knew someone who wanted to trade. I don't want to take a beating at the dealer when I can spend about an hour cutting a viewing window and reinforcing it.