Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cutting edge angle

indmach · 2022-06-13 11:13

Does anyone know what angle the cutting edge is on a scraper? In other words, if you lay the cutting edge flat on the ground, how many degrees would you raise the back to get the proper cut? I am rebuilding a very old scraper with a hurt mouth.

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12022-06-14 21:54

    Different brands have different angles. I know my Deere pans have a lower angle than the Ashland. I could try and measure them. Just guessing, the Deere pans are about a 60° angle, and the Ashland around 70°.

  2. #2Welder Dave2022-06-15 14:49

    I wouldn't think it would be that critical. Being able to hold it a consistent height so it wouldn't dig in too deep would be more important than the specific angle. A shallower angle might load slightly easier.

  3. #3Shimmy12022-06-15 19:12

    A shallower angle will cause it to slab and chunk out in certain conditions, and be harder to hold grade.

  4. #4kcdurtworks2022-06-15 19:47

    I’ve often wondered this myself. Our cat 621e loads a lot harder then our 621b. Makes me wonder if one floor was ripped out and put back in at one time. Another contractor says his 621bs load a lot easier then his 21gs

  5. #5indmach2022-06-18 11:04

    Well, I have never run a scraper before, but I have run loaders for many years, it doesn’t take much bucket angle change to go from a smooth load up, to a quick ditch! That being said, getting the cut started in clay takes a much more aggressive angle than starting in sand, but you still have to drop back on the angle, in clay, once u get the cut started. I was thinking the scraper would follow in those same foot steps? I was hoping someone had a scraper they could measure or knew where I could find a spec on it. I’m at about 10 degrees off flat right now, that looks a little much! Surely there are some blue prints somewhere with parameters?

  6. #6indmach2022-06-18 11:07

    Also, I don’t know if it makes a difference, but this scraper has an elevator

  7. #7Welder Dave2022-06-18 16:59

    The way a scraper is designed is similar to how a grader works. The cutting edge is rigidly supported front and back which is set to limit how much it will dig in. A loader has no front support so if the angle is turned down will keep digging deeper. You can lift up the boom arms but It's almost impossible to get a nice flat surface with the bucket tilted down unless working in very loose material like sand or loam.