Do any of you guys have a cheap source for either bolt on or weld on cutting edges? I've heard that there were places you could order them for way less than what the dealer wants for them but I've not had any luck finding any.
Have you looked on ebay?
Check your local welding shop. They sell it by the foot around here, cut to your length.
I have had more luck finding a more common cutting edge that is a little long and cutting off the excess. The edge for my bucket has a hole spacing that matches a John Deere backhoe loader bucket. It is longer than I need but it is a more common part that is less expensive than the "correct" part. I found this way due to a sharp parts manager at the local JD dealer. They have quite a few of the backhoe cutting edges in stock at any given time as well, so no waiting for the part to be ordered. A good use for the extra pieces is to cut them to short lengths and weld them vertically at the outer edge of the bucket for side cutters. I have them so the top of the side cutter stops 4" above the bottom of my cutting edge. It makes it easy to check depth near a concrete form or string line on a driveway or sidewalk.
Just found this thread I bought my skid loader edge by the foot from this company. Saved about 60% including UPS delivery. Took 3 days to arrive at my door. http://www.discountsteel.com/index.cfm/go/main.home.htm
Ditto dogboneshd. They are located about 20 miles from me. The cutting edge is found under Steel, Hot Rolled, Beveled Cutting Edge They used to stock double bevel and some pre-drilled cutting edge. You might want to phone them if you need something other than the single bevel. Now if I could just find an inexpensive source for grader edge...
Chuck, Wondering how you made out?
I've not bought anything yet, but will probably just buy the stock piece from Deere. I can get it, with the holes for $100. That website had some really good prices, but the shipping (to me) makes it unfeasible. I might call the local steel yard and see if they can get that stuff and what it would cost.