How often do you change cutting edges, where do you change them in the shop or in the field.
all depends on the machine, the application and even the operators, we used to change cutting edges on final trim graders every week, some job the scarifer tips wouldnt last 2 days in hard ground, being field service (and a compressor on the ute) the guys would always call us up and change em on site (at least they helped out) Scraper edges are good fun too had to laugh with all the lifting tools and high torques available these days it's a 1/4 of the task it used to be
Ha Ha we change our own edges on equipment here in Kansas. Most shops are small no service truck. Major repairs are done by cat, Deer service trucks. All the state,County and cities have there own shops. I separated my knee from my lower leg three years ago and invented a .tool to change blades on graders, v plows and truck plows. That's the only way I could keep my job was to be able to change those rascal's. I'm a one man shop with 93 miles of roads to work . But I remember the days of prybars, jacks and anything else I could use to get them on. mostly do finish grade so change weekly swap sides to get even wear and more life of blade.
yeh, some of our operators were pretty fussy, one would ONLY let you put on 6" tall 3/4" thick blades as he liked the way they cut, up north cleaning up access roads we would run 8" 1" thick ones to get the life from them, twice the weight but bext one when i think back was a 4m wide batter bucket for a 45t digger which i did on my own out in the scrub, was in two length but had to cut them in the middle to match up the hole centres.. middle of summer with nothing but dry grass around lol ahh happy days
Amazing the stuff we do for a living. It's a crazy life but a lot of fun, somedays
Yair . . . Never minded cutting edges once I got the fleet sorted out. I know I do go on but cutting edge bolts HAVE to be one thread short of protusion, scraper blades have handles to weld on. One bloke welding one bloke rattling . . . new set of blades on 627's in less than fifteen minutes . . . three man crew. Same thing with dozers, I had a little gadget hung on the top of the blade to take a come-along with handles or lugs prewelded onto the new blades. Piece of cake. Cheers.
You found the key to installation of your equipment, I second that cheers !! At the best it's. A job no one likes. The tool I have lets one man do the job with ease but only works on graders. V plows. Truck plows and any open area mold boards. I have talked to a lot of people. That have permanent injuries from dropping bades on hands and feet. We have them all over the US and some in Canada. I don't talk about them alot on here because I like the information about grading technology and how we all have different ways in different conditions. You can see them at leachrod.com if you like. I run a 140m2 had a 140m traded this year cat really steped up to the plate with the m2. I like the joy sticks and cruise control. My first was a Allis with a wheel handle to change the blade direction
Leachrod, I looked at your video and think your tool would be handy around the shop! I am always out in the field and usually just have the normal tools I carry in the pickup (no air). I was told some 30 years ago to always take a wire brush to the mating area of the cutting edge and remove any excess paint. Also, if I have a helper, I will put the final torque on the bolts while the helper hits the bolt head with the peen end of a ball peen hammer (using two hammers works best, hit one with the other). It is amazing how much give you can get out of a cutting edge bolt when seating it this way. Never should the cutting edge become loose, and when one does not have a service truck at ones disposal one does what one must do. Does anyone else worry about excess paint on the new edge, or am I just being anal about it? I never have edges come loose, so maybe it is worth it.
We are fussy about cleaning the mating surfaces. Especially in winter when there is often a layer of ice in between blade and board. Currently use 4 and 5 foot 1 x 8 sections on the 14 footers. Next step is going to be to drill the boards for 3\4 bolts so we can use 1 x 10 and larger edges. We have a pin with a handle welded on used like a punch for seating bolts. Never liked hitting hammers together. Will checkout your video Leachrod as we always like things to make these jobs easier
That is a very good point.the mating surface should always be cleaned before installing new edge. It's. Amazing how much give is in the thickness of paint or debri. I love the hammer idea never thought of that. The use of impact can also stretch the threads on bolt and give a lose point and pre mature failure.
yeh, we used to clean the mating faces back to bare metal, anti-seize (the correct length) bolts, tighten them up, then use a chicken bar (not sure what the international term is) to give the bolt heads a decent hit to bed them in, then give them another tighten, mainly for scrapers and dozers working in hard ground Also i used to look after a x2 Komatsu D475A dozers, the OEM cutting edges had a metric shank (square hole) and a large countersunk bore for the bolt head, if you didnt use the OEM bolts (which had a much larger head) they would rattle loose and cr@p out the bolt holes in the mullbourd
as needed, when needed, where needed. Inspected daily and changed when when worn.
Replacing Cutting Edges Hello, We would like to introduce to you all our NEW Trilift Lever Pin N Lift. Hedweld has established itself as a world leader in the design and manufacture of mining equipment and are known for its Trilift® range of component handling equipment and the Safe-Away® range of ladder and stairway access systems. We market and distribute a range of technologically advanced, innovative products specifically designed for the mining and earthmoving industries. Both product ranges offer high quality products specifically designed and built to improve safety and efficiency within these industries. Our NEW Trilift Lever Pin N Lift has been developed to safely lift and place G.E.T., cutting edges, corner tips, etc. from large earthmoving equipment. (Part No. TL20040). Complementing our current range of G.E.T. lifting tools, this new design allows for lifting of cutting edges with square or round holes, and new reversible double countersunk cutting edges. The Lever Pin N Lift is supplied with 2 adaptors for different size cutting edges. With these adaptors the Lever Pin N Lift can be easily adapted to 3 different sizes; 25mm, 32mm and 38mm. Please see the below video that demonstrates how this product works. [video=youtube;7nSrnvcTUDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nSrnvcTUDQ&feature=youtu.be[/video] For more information please visit www.hedweld.com.au/trilift/get-products/lever-pin-n-lift
Hedweld, Awesome Tool. I like the design and should be good seller. We don't work with that size of cutting edges our tool is designed for smaller Graders and snow plow edge replacement up to 300 lbs. We are the leader in the us for this type equipment . You view our tool @ Leachrod. Com we are based in Wichita Ks USA.
Hedweld welcome to the Forums. Take a moment to read the Forum rules - HeavyEquipmentForums Specifically this section - The post above is your "Freebie". I removed your other post in another thread that was promoting your product. The Forums are always looking for Sponsors, so if you are interested click the "Contact Us". Thank you for your consideration.
I once came upon an older mechanic that had dug a trench under the grader blade to change the edges!!! He was uncomfortable operating the machine enough to lift the blade and the operator had neglected to put it in the correct position after shift. He also was using a 3/4" ratchet and cheater to remove and reinstall bolts because his 1/2" gun wouldn't remove them and he forgot the 1" at the shop...nice guy....not always a full deck...............theironoracle
Thanks, thats amazing all the ways we figure out how to change the edges. I love hearing how diffrent people find something that works for them.give a man a challenge and he will figure a way. Have a great day
24" snow is hard on edges,lol three days new ones installed ready for next storm