Hi all, I’d like to purchase a cutting torch for light duty cutting (up to 1”) and heating nuts/bolts. I’m not a welder and don’t plan on using the torch for welding purposes. I’d like a portable torch rig that could be used for field work away from my shop. Seems like the Victor G150 setup is similar to what I need and the price is right. Is there a better option and will the small bottles in this setup be annoying if I’m only using it as I described? Any experience with the harbor freight knock-off version? https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Techn...ocphy=9002357&hvtargid=pla-570094930525&psc=1 https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html
you're not going to cut an inch of steel with either of those. IF all you are doing is cutting, ditch the acetylene or MAPP gas and go with propane from the start. Oxygen does all the work with cutting. Get a bigger bottle and regulator and hoses. All that little tote stuff is good for is pissing you off when it runs out. It is really intended more for brazing and welding. Look at this chart https://www.gwsco.com/industrial-cylinder-sizes Get at least a Q sized bottle, 80 Cu Ft.
Thank you, skyking. Can I use an acetylene torch with propane? Is it possible to simply use a barbecue propane cylinder with a regulator and then buy an oxygen cylinder?
Depends on what you mean by light duty. If you need to cut off a couple of 1" bolts every year, and heat something up every couple months, that's a great set. And maybe stick with acetylene, the oxygen goes farther with acetylene, at least that's what I've heard. If you're cutting 1" plate for repairs and a little fabricating, you'll want a bigger oxygen tank, and propane will be more convenient and cheaper. You need a propane tip that goes on the same torch and regulators, the hose technically should be different, but it works fine for propane. BBQ tanks work fine for me.
The propane idea has me intrigued, I have several propane cylinders around already. I’ll start researching this. It would probably be easiest for me to go to a welding supply store but there are none near me unfortunately so I have to figure out what to order online.
all the more reason to get a larger Oxygen cylinder, you will have to go to the welding supply to get that filled anyway.
Another vote for propane. Especially, if you are not going to get into gas welding.
Is there any reason not to buy a used, name brand torch setup? Then go to the welding store for a cylinder of oxygen and a propane regulator?
I love the 1075. I’ll hook a brotha up. Plus, it’s safer than dealing with acetylene.
Not at all. Hit up the local pawn shops for a stolen rig. Facebook market place or whatever.
You can absolutly cut one inch steel with that victor set I do it all the time its my every day carry torch tote and an extra set of tanks in the service truck in the gravel crushing and hauling business speed and versatility are the name of the game inch steel is childs play Is it my only torch set not by a long shot but I dont leave home without it
I forget where in NH you're located, but I think I have an old torch I'd consider selling. Might be missing a part or two. I'll check if you're interested
Thanks for the feedback guys! @materthegreater I’m in the Keene/Concord area. If you had a torch you’d part with and are reasonably local I’d be interested. Thanks! Approximately how much run time would I get out of the mini Victor setup I listed in the first post? I assume if I wanted to move to bigger bottles or a propane setup I could use the same regulators/hose/torch body?
I have the small Forney torch set, it lasts a couple hours of cutting. So don't run the torch unnescessarily. Only light it when you know what and how you're cutting. I use propane for bigger in the shop work but for little stuff I like my small set up. Easy to move around. If you're not working in the field why limit yourself to the small set?
First, figure out where you are going to buy your oxygen bottle and how you are going to exchange them. If you are inexperienced the bottles shown won't last you 20 minutes of cutting time. Buy a real sized oxygen bottle and use propane. The compressed gas market around here anyway is a gigantic CF. Prices start out stupid high, and come down to merely insane the more bitching you do.
I do as much mass heating with a rosebud tip as I do cutting with a torch. I might braze on occasion, but rarely. I have propane tips, acetylene tips and all the kit to use but I prefer the acetylene for the higher temps. Unless I'm doing a lot of gas cutting to justify propane, I stick with the acetylene. It always seems to take forever with propane to get to cutting temp. It's all about personal preference. Each gas works fine for cutting purposes as long as you have the oxygen to make the cut. Me, I reach for the plasma cutter 90% of the time as long as it fits the job. Each tool has its place but a torch is more versatile.
I will look and see if what I have will make a complete set. I'll send you a PM
Found this one, you can have for free. It's a cheap discount store set, and I think they used inferior rubber. The o-rings started to leak, and the rubber diaphragms in the regulators also leaked. I think the hose might be cracked as well. The hard parts seem fine. I know I had more parts, so I'll keep looking.
@materthegreater wow that’s great! Thank you! I’ll send you a PM to work out the details.
I was at a garage sale today and picked up two sets of regulators for cheap. The Harris set seem to be in good used condition, the other set is mismatched but unused. I’ll have to get a couple cylinders to test them under pressure.
Take a few minutes to find and read through the safety warnings for using compressed oxygen especially, and a cutting torch as well. The thing that sticks in my mind, looking at a nice set of older regulators, is the advice to always back the pressure out on the regulator, then crack the valve open very slowly, and with the regulator facing away from you and your face facing away from the regulator. Before that, crack the oxygen valve to blow any dirt out. Reduce the chances of the oxygen regulator blowing up in your face. Then there are a whole nuther set of warnings for once you get the torch started and how not to blow yourself up doing it. Most guys don't back out the regulator pressure, but at least look away when you open.
I bought the Victor handbook for oxy fuel welding/cutting and I’ll read it before I attempt anything. I don’t want to take any shortcuts on safety!
There are several welding suppliers near you. Check out airgas.com and maineoxy.com for locations.
The two most important things, #1, do not get any type of oil or lubricant on the fitting where the oxy regulator connects to the oxy cylinder. #2, open the oxy cylinder slowly to allow the regulator to slowly receive the pressure from the cylinder.
Since you are new to using a cutting torch, it is important to know that the size of the tip will make all the difference in the world as to what you can cut with it efficiently. The bigger the tip the thicker the metal you can cut. The same is true for welding and brazing metal. The psi setting of the oxygen supply to the tip will make a difference in what you are doing. I have used both acetylene and propane and I didn't care for propane at all, for different reasons. One is that when welding mild steel, a rich acetylene flame is needed to prevent the tip from back-firing. A back-fire will blow metal out of the molten puddle.
Mild steel should be welded with a neutral flame. I would not use a rich (carburizing) flame when gas welding mild steel. The molten pool will absorb excess carbon from the carburizing flame and the weld metal will be a higher strength and less malleable than the parent metal, making it more prone to cracking. The gas flow through the tip is required to keep the tip cool. If your weld zone won't tolerate all the heat from a properly adjusted flame you need to switch to a smaller tip. One application for a carburizing flame is when applying hard facing with a OA torch. There the extra carbon is helpful.
I’d like to thank @materthegreater again for gifting me a starter torch set and being willing to bring it with him to my part of the state for delivery. Thank you!! I think I have an oxygen bottle figured out and I’m going to try oxy/propane to start. All I need now is a new grade T hose and a propane tip for the torch then I think my low-budget cutting setup will be complete. Thanks again to all who offered experience and advice.
Good people always pay forward when they can. Does not matter if it's goods or education, help is always the greatest gift. Lots of things given to me over the years always remind me of the giver and their memory is never lost.
Small update- I found a used cart on Craigslist for $30 and got an oxygen cylinder from a welding supply house. New T grade hose too. I had a few minutes this morning to get everything hooked up and leak tested, if we get a few warm days I’ll start practicing in the shop. Thanks to all who offered advice, suggestions or equipment! I’ll have more questions once I start using it.