I read most of the forums relateing to this but few have the final solution posted.. HELP>> last fall our cx 240 died completely. we've had "electrical problem" and power issues for a couple years intermittent. could usually restart and it would go away usually once warmed up. So we put a factory new vp44 and lift pump in the feild got it on a trailer, bypassed the lift pump to make dam sure it was running. once in shop we did injectors, new lines and removed tank and found a few little debris that was cleaned out. re hooked lift pump like it should ran no issues parked outside. I believe we have put a manifold temp sensor in also. started it yesterday it fires right up and we are back to the same problem. idles well and sound good does the auto warm up. but no power and "electrical problem" flashes. i haven't looked today but when we kiked it out our Jpro didn't see any codes. Also, if we crack the key the lift pump does run for approx 30 seconds. I feel there is no mechanical issue with the engine. no leaks no smoke sound ok. ECM? any ideas I think I am hauling to Titan Tomorrow if they can get it in right away. I just don't want to chase parts otherwise it's been a great excavator. just had to do drive motors at 9,000 hrs. Could it just be as simple as software? dang thing has been bullet proof and trust worthy till now and I have some beaver dams to remove I really don't want it to die where im going to take it. any help would be awesome..
My first thoughts are power supply to the engine ECM. Cummins says it is very important that the battery power to the ECM MUST be connected directly to the batteries. From the batteries the power goes through five fuses then through a round 23? pin plug behind the ECM where it connects to the engine harness. The engine harness has three battery power pins and three ground pins at the ECM connector. I would go through every one of the power supply connections and grounds and see if there are any corroded loose or damaged connections.
Thanks mekanik I will do that... So apparently i didn't delete codes from vp44 failure.. found my manual buried in my email. I had codes like EO115, EO611, E0517, E0366, E0364, EO391, E0278, EO434. the hours didn't really correspond like ii thought they should if i read the diag 3 and 4 and 5 box correctly, anyways.. i cleared them and all the came up in DIAG1 was the EO115.. so i let it warm up while ii was reading.. I unplugged only sensor into the manifold to the right of preheat grid just below (its new by the way) Titan guy said this could mess things up before so we replaced. when i un plugged it and back in i thought i heard an audible difference. and code moved to DIAG 2 and DIAG1 was clear.. so i cleared codes again and no codes.. so i operated functions what i could as its chained to trailer in case it died.. and stayed the same no fault and it felt and sounded like it wanted to eat some dirt... So can this sensor derate the engine??? I guess I'm going to have to run it and see if anything comes back.. Forgot we also replaced relays for lift pump and cleaned all fuses and holders for corrosion when we did vp44. at least no pump codes. was kind of worried for a minute ??? who knows ill update tomorrow Josh
That sensor is probably the intake manifold pressure sensor so if it failed it could cause a derate condition.