Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder leak question

Rickyb1968 · 2022-05-29 22:42

I purchased a kobelco 135 last year about 8 months ago. Put about 75 hours on it. Had a small leak on thumb but that’s about it. Now I probably developed a few more leaks but hadn’t noticed them. This weekend I was helping a buddy dig out a pond. Was working in some very hard clay. Dug about 6 hours and noticed my bucket cylinder was leaking pretty good. Got to looking and my arm cylinder was leaking and one of my boom cylinders was leaking. None were as bad as the bucket cylinder. My question! We’re these seals just old and thru the heavy use they all starting going out? Does digging in heavy clay wear out seals quicker. Kind of new at all of this.

Replies5
  1. #1fastline2022-05-30 00:20

    No, hard digging is not a deciding factor for seals. What is a factor is oil quality, contamination at the wiper seals, and overall age of the seals. Time will take them out regardless, but hard digging could accelerating things I guess. What do your wipers look like? I always look at those because if they are cracked, you can bet your seals will be gone soon. Just the way it goes.

  2. #2uffex2022-05-30 03:59

    Good day Attached information covers repair and what to look for as to the cause of leakage hope you find it helpful. Kin regards Uffex

  3. #3John C.2022-05-30 11:07

    Heat is a factor in leaking cylinder seals. Seeing leaking hydraulic cylinders was a clue for me to look for signs of over heating in the engine compartment and plugged coolers. Missing insulation foam, hard cooling hoses and heater hoses and signs of coolant leaking at the ends of those hoses always dropped any trade in value that might have been offered.

  4. #4Delmer2022-05-30 17:14

    Was the clay sticking to the rod, could wear the seals quicker that way. Yes, the seals were probably old and started leaking quickly being put back into use. Inspect the cylinder rods, especially the bucket and thumb, those are most likely to get scratched or bent. If the rod is not scratched or bent, then new seals should last another ten years or so.

  5. #5Rickyb19682022-05-30 19:19

    Thanks you guys for your answers. I have no idea how long those seals have been in the machine. It’s going back to dealer to get track rails put on and I’m going have those seals all replaced. The repair job on rails was finalized at time of sale. I had asked for seals to be repacked but mechanic said they were all good and it wasn’t done. Thanks for the information