Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder leaking

mikey1 ยท 2013-05-24 04:28

Hey guys, I have a cylinder leaking, it is the one on the backhoe boom. The cylinder itself has some scaring that has taken the chrome off of it just a little bit, it looks like something has scratched it and has done this. If I change the seal on it, do you think it will just start to leak again? I will try and get a pic uploaded for you guys too see it. this is the seal I need to change it is leaking a good bit. Also is this hoe a 35? is that the number that they give for it? Thanks guys for your advice here.

Replies4
  1. #1bowen2013-05-24 05:58

    The 2 boom cylinders are maybe the easiest to take off and get repaired off the machine. I would say to do both. You need some caps and plugs for the lines. I paid $250 each to get mine fixed, but later found that $150 is possible. The kits are ~$50 each. If your rod is bent or scared too much you have another $ problem. I would remove them for repairs, and be prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. The boom cylinders was the first ones I had to fix. Now I am working on the other 6.

  2. #2rust farmer2013-05-25 11:21

    The shop I used to work at stocked chrome rod for cylinders. You can order rod by the foot from a supply house and have your local machine shop turn the ends down for threads. Make sure that if you decide to go that route that the shop you use knows to use some piece of brass on the lathe jaws so they don't dent the finish on the rod. You might want to just ask them how they are going to turn that piece without scratching the finish. I have seen guys over the years not even think twice about chucking up a piece of rod without using brass on the jaws then its to late. If you don't get the rod fixed too, the bad spot is going to act like a saw on the seal. I have stoned and polished some rods and got away with it for awhile, those bad spots will usually get worse if the machine is left out in the weather.

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-05-25 14:23

    Yes the two boom cylinder is a 35 hoe, and the single boom cylinder is a 33 hoe.

  4. #4mikey12013-06-15 20:39

    Thank You guys for your info and advice it is always appreciated