So... A senior expert injector dude tells me. (Working on a CAV pump) The pump gets lubricated ONLY by the diesel fuel and this does not have the best lubricants in it currently. From the pumps prospective here is the best advice. "For a 5 gallon can of diesel fuel, add about 2 or 3 cap-fulls of the cheapest ATF transmission fluid you can buy into the tank." He says this lubricates the internal parts of the pump and will even make it run quieter. No black smoke (unless you add way too much) and will not harm the injectors nor the engine. I somehow wonder if this is maybe a controversial idea. He does not necessarily oppose additives, but says they are no better than a small amount of ATF fluid. He says this will make the pump last forever and minimize leaks. He also says a gallon of Kerosene in a tank of fuel will clean the entire fuel system including the injectors.
Atf is red in base color.... Road taxed fuel is clear, Non taxed fuel is red. Dot's get very suspicious if the is even a trace of red in your truck.
That's what I've always been told. In fact we just replace a pump in a cummins because some one wasn't doing what he was told to do. I always use a fuel additive / lubricant or ATF when I fill up. The new fuels just don't lubricate like they should and for what we are paying , go figure !
I use Marvel Mystery Oil, it lubricates and helps clean injectors. I believe you could add up to 10% ATF/oil to your diesel tank without any issue's. I mix old engine oil with mine.......AFTER it's been filtered.
I put 3.2 oz of 2 stroke oil in my fuel for every 5 gallons. That makes it 200:1 ratio. I buy the Walmart brand TCW3 ashless oil. In my opinion 2 stroke oil is made to burn and burn clean inside of engines. ATF is not and will leave deposits. I also run a lesser amount (500:1) in my small gas engine stuff. For the price, it can't hurt not to do it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon/16795065
Wow :naughty You guys just add anything into the fuel tank. I bet WD40 would be good.:cool2 I have never added anything except Seafoam to clean out an old system that had been sitting for 3 years. This can create a problem because it breaks stuff loose that really fills the filters. Hopefully after I get the system all clean, I can just keep it clean. I suppose I will start adding something with everyone talking about damaging injector pumps. With the hoe I am not concerned with the DOT, but I wonder how the truck drivers handle this. With diesel higher than gas it looks like everyone would complain until the add some lubricant back to the mix. I'm sure it has something to do with the Fed which everyone has to find a way around. Al Gore will one day find out they are running used motor oil in all the tanks.
There is an EXCELLENT ARTICAL that breaks down EVERY [or almost** additive thru a study...from the best to the worst...on DIESEL STOP > COm Its free to enter and very informative.. I've seen the effects of "transmission fluid" FIRST HAND,,and it was AMAZING..I don't know the quantity per gallon and it was used in an "on-road" car..daily driver..and the only thing I could find wrong w/ the injectors were, they were "cupped" from the excess heat, created by the oil.. They POPPED FINE and the PRESSURE was dead on, BUT the spray pattern was off from the "cupping". and this was a 15year old vehicle that the inj. were NEVER taken out of.. and if/when you go look at the article..trans fluid is WAY DOWN THE LIST..go figure?