Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder Packing Gland

JS300 ยท 2016-08-09 10:59

Any tips on removing stuck cylinder packing glands? Both my angle cylinders are weeping so decided to fix them. I was able to finally get the rod end pins out and one of cylinder packing glands came loose pretty easy with a pipe wrench the other won't budge. I've tried all I know. Also the cylinder end pins won't come out so I can't remove the cylinder completely.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2016-08-09 14:31

    For the gland: peening HeavyEquipmentForums For the pins, that can get tricky. Use a shaft for a punch so you don't mushroom the end if you beat on them with a hammer. If the ears are crooked and the pin is binding, then you need to set up a hydraulic jack with a fixture to push against the pin while pulling against the housing on the other side, basically the same thing as a big C clamp, except you'll need to weld or use threaded rod or whatever you have to push that pin without bending the ears more. If all else fails, cut out the middle of the pin, or cut the pin between the cylinder and the ear.

  2. #2JS3002016-08-09 14:51

    Thanks for the link Delmer, I'll try it tonight. Makes sense that it would work. Just hope I didn't do too much damage to it last night trying to break it loose. I heated to pin really good and tried beating it out with a sledge and a punch with no luck. I also tried cutting it out but couldn't get the torch in the small area good enough. I'm gonna try a porta power tonight. I wonder if turning a duster can upside down and freezing each end of the pin would do anything? I know it sounds crszy but I'm ready to try anything.

  3. #3Junkyard2016-08-09 16:06

    If you can disassemble the cylinder with the pins in the cylinder leave em be. You say angle cylinders so it might be less work to pull the blade than fight pins? Some glands took a 48" pipe wrench and cheater, some took my trusty air hammer, some took heat and some all of the above. Make sure there's not a little set screw or anything, assuming you've checked all that since one came out. About 1 in 10 cylinders gives me fits. Doing a D11 ripper tilt tomorrow. Hopefully it's not the one that gives me trouble!! Good luck Junkyard

  4. #4JS3002016-08-10 12:02

    Peening didn't work. Thinking about trying dynamite next. I'm hoping I didn't melt the aluminum packing gland when I heated it up.

  5. #5JS3002016-08-13 20:23

    I ended up having to torch the cylinder pins out which was a pain because there isn't enough room to get s good cut angle. I locked the cylinder down in a big vice and got the gland out with a 48" pipe wrench. Found a pretty good indention on the cylinder threads and figure thats why it wouldn't turn loose. Luckily it was low on the threads and didn't really affect the gland threads. Thanks fo the help.