Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder Rod Scratch

wrecd ยท 2010-07-29 14:33

hello everyone i have some fairly deep scratches in the rod on my stabilizer cylinder on my 580e. the rods are in good shape otherwise. is there any type of filler that is made to fix this problem? thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1powerjoke2010-07-29 18:10

    believe it or not we use super glue, clean it really really well with carb cleaner or laquer thinner or something, and then put on several thin layers of superglue, believe it or not it will last a long time Pj

  2. #2wrecd2010-07-29 18:38

    thanks for the tip! i cant wait to try it out :drinkup

  3. #3John White2010-08-01 21:28

    Boy that super glue can work for just about any thing. I got a deep cut, washed it out real good, got the bleeding stoped, took a hair drier and dried it out real good, took super glue and glued the cut back together. No stitches. Had to go to the doctor for another reason, he seen it and came unglued. He said I was crazy. Went back in later for lab results on some tests. He seen it and said I was trying to put him out of business. Couldnt believe how good it healed. Long live super glue and JB weld. Years ago I bought a Case that was a basket case. Main journal had spun a bearing. I had the crank turned but could not find any one to weld up the main and line bore it. After sitting in my shop for a year or two and couldnt find a block. I got a wild idea. Bought a new bearing, filled the saddle and cap with JB weld, tightned it down to about 10 pounds, let it sit for a couple days with a heat lamp on it. Then torqued it down to specs. Ran tractor for several years and traded it off and still running. Bought a Chev truck (another basket case) with a Cat 3116 engine that the cam shaft had spun a bearing. I didnt have the money to buy another block or engine. Cleaned it out real good with carb cleaner, got a new cam bearing and green locktite around the bearing, installed it, let it sit for a day with a heat lamp, I just knew it would'nt hold. Still running.

  4. #4lobo2010-08-02 07:31

    That super glue is a good idea. I always take a good file lightly over the scratch. As you file you will see the high spots around edeges of the scratch disappear. Any time a scratch happens metal from the gouge will raise to the sides, which can cut new packing or seals.

  5. #5Komatsu 1502010-08-02 08:01

    That really is the answer. If you take down the edges it can do well even without a filler although that is something I would like to try. Any leak will be minimal and may not leak at all for quite a while. I like to use a smooth stone on it after the file.

  6. #6melben2010-08-03 07:34

    Certanium makes a lo temp solder which works for that purpose also. I have used it successfully to fill gouges in rods. Mel

  7. #7Cat Wrench2010-08-03 11:12

    This must be done. On out riggers it isn't like one of the stick or the boom cylinders that get cycled constantly it should work for long time.

  8. #8tonka2010-08-03 12:51

    Superglue was used by trauma surgeons in Vietnam to glue the edges of lacerated livers together (ever try to SEW liver?). Works great. It also works perfectly fine in normal skin wounds, and is non-toxic. The only reason it hasn't been approved by the FDA for this purpose is that the studies would cost millions, and who's going to pay them?