Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 610c Backhoe

jmacrust ยท 2010-07-29 11:40

I just bought a 610c that would run for 10 to 15 minutes and then the hydraulics would quit working. Engine runs great, but the loader/backhoe and forward/reverse just quits after a few minutes. Previous owner said that it progressively got worse and would run for shorter and shorter periods over the last year or so. Changed all of the hydraulic fluid all the way around and all filters (that I can find) and now it won't move at all. The hydraulic pump is only about two years old. Does anyone know about John Deere 610's?? Is there a screen in there somewhere that I can pull out and clean?? Old John Deere Farm tractors had one, but I can't find it on this one. And the right brake was hanging some, so I thought maybe some brake material clogged something up, but where could that be? And how do I fix it? One of you smart guys help me out!!

Replies3
  1. #1JonathanMA2010-07-30 16:03

    The suction screen is removed by removing a large plug on the bottom that faces forward. Its between the elbow that the dipstick tube mounts to and a hex head plug. It has a 1/2 " square drive on it I believe. See what comes out of there. If everything stops, it sounds like a transmission pump issue or else the "torsional damper" which is basically a clutch disk and glorified pressure plate that bolts to the flywheel. I know the older 710B's had problems with that damper, but the parts should have been updated on the C's, but it still could be a problem.

  2. #2R.wise2023-07-02 11:44

    On the 610c that I am going to work on the hydraulics are slow and chatter when working I think that it is low oil supply to the pump does the transmission pump feed oil to the hydraulic pump

  3. #3Delmer2023-07-02 14:30

    Yes it does. I've been told the transmission pump is simple and reliable, it only pumps to a couple hundred PSI. There is a priority, I believe the transmission control, hydraulic pump feed (make up really), then transmission lube is the priority. Not sure on where the hydraulic cooler fits in there. The hydraulic flow return from the functions MOSTLY goes through the filter and back to the pump, the make up feed from the transmission pump should only have to make up a small part of the hydraulic pump output. The technical manual has all sorts of simple leakage tests to identify problems if you get that far. Certain things do not return to the hydraulic system and will cause chattering due to demand exceeding supply.