Why we keep rebuilding these old models instead of buying new "T" models is beyond me.:beatsme
more
Nice photos!! We just recently swapped motors out of a 623 Scraper, unfortunately I was one of the guys swapping the motor so I didn't get to many pics of the operation
I have that same motor in our shop. We started rebuilding it for a local coal company and they ran out of money. They are suppose to come pick it up....that was 4 yrs ago.
well... have you priced out a new d11t recently? My guess is that the monthly repair bill is still less than the payments on a new one.
Well it keeps us Mecanics in work, Better us having The $$$ than Cat etc for a new one:drinkup
But at the mines, us mechanics get paid by the hr to babysit stuff even if its band new: We almost got a full day replacing normal wear parts on R models and 992Ks.
Which mine are you working at?
I guess i need to change my location. i'm not in so il anymore, i'm in western ky now working for phoenix coal. Use to work for s coal near duquoin il.
nice pics man. looking at it from an operators point of view... i totally agree with you, the more D11Ts the merrier, but thinking of it from a desk jockeys view...meah. they dont get to play with the cool fun toys, so why should you? haha i always blame it on the desk jockeys...
Most companys would love new 10 & 11T's ... Its the fact you cannot get them ... Huge waiting list.
The waiting lists aren't exactly huge anymore. We just took delivery of 6 D11Ts, 4 of which weren't supposed to be here until next year.
Yeah ... I supose but Company you work for have a little more pull than most with the ammount of Caterpillar turn over.
yeah and someone mentioned dubai putting in a huge order for 10T's and 11T's so that means that alot of machines are going overseas as well. anndddd I agree, im sure some companies get to "cut" on the waiting list because they are preferred customers of Cat. Gotta take care of your frequent buyers.
Love the pics, brings back memories. I ran D11's when I worked in the strip mines back in 90's. I loved um but I also really like running the old model D10's you know the double stack version. They had a better ride to me. In terms of operator comfort.
Wow thats alot of work! We got delivery of ours in July which was earlier then expected. A shock to us as well. Kinda nice to have a new toy in the sand box:scool You think someone would run the numbers on downtime and figure something out. Its quit the machine:notworthy
How are these machines with electronics? I bet they are full of them. I have an 2 old D8s one is a 1975 D8K the other is a 1989 D8L. Great machines not to many electronics the K only gets dragged out for the big jobs.
Oh yeah, you know it! We've got a youngster mechanic who is great with techy electronic stuff; he loves a challenge and does a great job without hacking lol Don't get me wrong we get our share of visits from Cat as well....
Nice new toy, brynbaily. Where do you work?
I work for Independence out of Cleveland and our family owned business, which is an excavation/construction operation as well. So basically I have two very full time jobs when the economy allows lol ointhead
I suspected as much, seems like Independence gets a little bit bigger every time I snoop their (your) website. Just one very full time job is good these days, so two's got to be even better. Thanks for sharing:drinkup:usa
I wonder how's things in Dubai with the economy finally? / suddenly? smakking catching up to them...
i have actually heard that things in dubai will start up again after new year in a higher gear than ever!!!!!
Nice Photo's of the D-11's. My CAt salesman quoted me $1.3 mill for a new D-11T vs about $85 K for a rebuilt 3508. Just in case anyone was wondering.
And that is a rebuilt from Cat itself, right. No wonder why they keep rebuilding the old ones, instead of getting the T.
Is that a D11N bulldozer, or a D10L with a heart transplant?
That 85K doesn't guarantee an engine that will run without problems like a new engine. I was working for a Cat dealer doing a frame up rebuild on a D11T out of the tar sands in Canada. The first exchange engine ran for about ten minutes and lost something on the coolant side which put all the coolant in the basement. Six weeks later we got the second exchange engine.
85K, I'd like to know the approximate cost for parts? But then they are all OEM cat parts. I'm betting non cat rebuilds are mostly non cat parts, in some case those aftermarket parts are as good or better than factory OEM parts. I think the reason for not so good mechanic work in this day and age is most of the people are both burnt out and tired from lack of sleep. Things were different in the older days, no fun things like TV's and Online to keep people up half the night, as well as dealing with the kids doing the same.
That engine price quote was over13 years ago. It's an old thread. FWD
It's funny to read these old threads, why are you fixing up that old junker they will say. Well times change and now some of those old junkers are looking pretty good.
The D11T I'm talking about happened around 2010.
I thought 1.3 M for a D11 was too little. More like 3 M now I'd think. So that makes that engine rebuild more like 130K now?