Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu dozer questions

nathan812 ยท 2009-08-02 18:31

I have a few questions for you guys that are komatsu experts. I have about 380 acres that is overgrown with persimmon, elm, sumac, and other brush. What I am wanting to do is clear the brush leave the nice oaks and get some grass growing again. I have been looking at the D37,38,39, 41s. My question is what is the difference between these machines (year models or just different models) ? Do you think these machines would do what I am wanting to do without too much problem? It is on my own place and don't really want to rent, rather take my time and go a little at a time.Thanks for your help. Nate

Replies16
  1. #1roddyo2009-08-02 22:11

    Komatsu I like the 39 myself. The blade on the 41 looks like it would have trouble holding up in trees. Just my 2 cents.

  2. #2John C.2009-08-02 22:46

    What time frame are you talking about on those machines? New or used? When Dresser finished the sell out to Komatsu, the TD8 and TD9 were turned into the D38 and D39. They were the same main frames but the 39 had a little more horsepower, the blade was wider and the undercarriage was a little longer. The mounting brakets for the C frame were turned forward on the 39 so the blade extended out in front of the machine a little farther. I don't know much about the 41 but I think it is of fairly recent design. I believe it is hydrostatic. The 38 and 39 were torque converter machines while the D37 was the original Komatsu design and was direct drive instead of having a torque converter. The thirty series machines were simple in design and easy to repair. I don't know enough about the 41 to make a statement. I had very little problem with any of the Komatsu machines in that size range as long as I worked on them. When they are worn out though, they are completely worn out. Good Luck!

  3. #3nathan8122009-08-03 09:26

    Thanks guys I didn't know anything about the td8 td9 turning into komatsu. Did these machines have the cummins motors that some of the komatsu have or is it a komatsu motor? I know cummins and komatsu use alot of each others motors for diffferent things. I am looking for a used one with open cab, limb risers, and rear rippers would really help for this hard red clay and rock we have here. I have thought the same thing about the 41 looks like the blade is 5 ft in front of the machine. Be nice for smoothing up work but probably not good for tight spaces.

  4. #4MrKomatsu2009-08-03 10:23

    :drinkup:usaNathan...Your best bet at this point and time is the D38-D39P-1. they are actually the Dresser TD8-TD9...old school machine with a new look.. John the D41's are also direct drive no T/C.....torque flow tranny...no hydor statics..the dash 21 series D38 and 39 are hydrostactic.....:usa:drinkup

  5. #5nathan8122009-08-03 18:31

    Thank you for the info. I just couldn't figure out the difference between all of the choices. They all three look about the same size(at least on the internet). Is there any common problems with these machines that I should look out for, drivetrain issues, undercarriage, clutches, etc. that should be looked at closer than usual? I have heard the ball on the front blade is a common problem with 6 way blades, never ran a 6 way blade just the old tilt and lift dozers mostly Cat d6 & d7 and maybe a case every once in a while. Thanks for all of the knowledge...

  6. #6John C.2009-08-03 23:02

    The old Dresser dozers did not have a ball but instead used a T bar. There was a stud that mounted horizontally from the T bar and stuck into the back of the blade. The blade had plates that bolted over the outside of each end of the T bar holding all in place. The ends of the T bar and the plates that rubbed on it worn down but you could just pull shims out to tighten it up. The system is real simple and easy to fix. I liked it a lot better than the ball system the Komatsu and Cats use. I don't know if the 38 and 39 still use that system.

  7. #7nathan8122009-08-04 08:43

    Thanks that is the type of stuff I like to know before talking to a salesman. I like to play the dumb customer at first to see what kind of BS the salesman will try to feed me. If he is honest I do business if not I make tracks to another dealer.

  8. #8TopDeadCenter2009-08-05 12:02

    If you are just going to use it for your own property then you should probably look at a used unit from an equipment auction. I've seen decent D31s go for <$15k.

  9. #9jmacrust2009-08-05 17:28

    Or you can just step on up to a d58 which won't cost you more than $25 - 30 and you can sell it again for the same all day long. Tractor won't even know you're pushing the brush until there is a pile as high as the cab in front of you. 300 acres will be done in a hurry and you can go on to all that plowing, planting, weed spraying, etc., that you are going to have to do. (You can even build a tank or two while you are at it and you won't be so frustrated). Have a 58p-1 myself and I love it. Most fun you can have with your pants on!

  10. #10Neil D2009-08-05 17:44

    Yeah,I would agree with the above-theres nothing to beat hp and a bit of weight Neil

  11. #11nathan8122009-08-05 18:33

    I was just looking at some of the bigger machines on iron planet and was thinking about the same thing. No replacement for displacement is the old saying and it rings true. I was just thinking it would be easier to haul and work on with a smaller machine. You know smaller machine means smaller parts to have to wrangle with.

  12. #12jmacrust2009-08-05 18:43

    With the big machine doing working with less than 100% power it shouldn't break as much, but the hauling is certainly an issue. If you are going to need to move it alot, then smaller might be better. If you are just trying to clear your own place, then moving is not the issue. My 58 does great sitting on my place. It is a pain to get moved since you need an 18 wheeler and a low-boy. 36,000 lbs is a little much for my one ton truck and my flatbed trailer.

  13. #13craigcore2009-08-28 06:04

    The bigger the better

  14. #14D6c10K2009-08-28 08:32

    I only occasionally move my D6c off the farm and can get it moved short distances by a local trucker for about $100. If you don't move it often I wouldn't worry about the size.

  15. #15wolfman2009-09-18 22:14

    komatsu info D37 thru D41s weight and horsepower is the difference there all good machines and will do what your needing I have a D41 great tractor it a upper 20k machine the 37s start out at 18k komatsu good choice Ive run them all

  16. #16Alaska Dan2009-09-23 01:29

    Hello Everyone! I joined to learn more about Komatsu dozers. But apparently new members need to post replies 3 times to start threads. So I'll begin here. About a decade ago I had an old D2 Cat. Finally it became damaged beyond repair and I let it go. But I've always missed having a dozer around. Now I'm considering getting one again. The purpose would be for my own property as well as residential jobs, as I did before. I seemed to have a knack for dirt work and stayed busy most of the summer. I worked it 5 years. Recently I started familiarizing myself with the market, looking mostly at Cat D3's and JD. Then I came across Komatsu. I've seen them on job sites but know little about them. Today I went to a dealer of used Komatsus and looked at three. To be honest, I was not impressed. The 2 he got started had problems and he said they just needed to be adjusted. My first thought was why would he put them in the yard for sale without doing that first? The third, and nicest one, wouldn't start. Of those that did start, they both had serious blow-by and the engines make a lot of racket when they first started up until the oil worked it's way around. I don;t recall hear my Cat do that. One of them wouldn't turn left while backing up a slight incline and the gears grinded on the other one when trying to shift into gear. I noticed something else - all the Hobbs Meters read about the same - between 2500 and 2800 hours. He said they replaced a transmission in one, then corrected himself and said they replaced the clutch. I don't know enough about them to know if 2600 hours is typical for a clutch to need replacing, but it seems early to me. I spoke with another dealer who was candid and admitted Hobbs Meters can be turned back the way they used to do older cars back in the day. I don't like being cynical, but I've learned to listen to my instincts and something tells me this picture doesn't look right. These dozers looked and operated like dozers with much more time. My original reason for posting here was to ask for testimonials from Komatsu owners. I would also be curious to know if anyone else has had the suspicions I've mentioned. Thanks in advance... Dan