Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D 3 cat dozer motor work

Kyczrd ยท 2012-10-23 21:18

I am pull my motor on my D 3 and need to know if there is a trick to separate the motor from the transmission? Is it pull apart like a car or is there something else I need to know

Replies5
  1. #1Lee-online2012-10-23 21:41

    D3, d3b, d3c d3g, d3k????

  2. #2Kyczrd2012-10-23 21:50

    I believe it's a d3. It's my brother-in-law's. all I know for sure tonight is its a 3204 and its a 1978.

  3. #3Kyczrd2012-10-23 21:53

    Will post more info tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

  4. #4Bob/Ont2012-10-23 22:18

    Once everything you can see is removed, take all of the flywheel housing bolts out. Then the engine will pull forward leaving the trans behind. Later Bob

  5. #5Lee-online2012-10-23 22:18

    Its likely a 79U prefix machine. Anywho, to split the engine from the trans/torque you just unbolt it from the the bellhousing and pull it apart. Sometimes the Oring wants to hold them together so you need to pry them apart. There are mounts on the engine and mounts on the trans so when you split them the trans will want to tip so you need to help support it with blocks, jack or a come-along. Any other questions, just ask. BTW, i pulled a trans out of a D3 and it was the worst, most PITA trans removal i have ever done and i have done alot in alot of different machines.