I know this isn't the mini section but I was just wondering if anyone else has found that people on site seem to get TOO CLOSE to harms way when you're operating the really small machines? I have a backhoe and a 1.5 ton mini. I tell everyone that the brakes are really bad on the backhoe (they're fine, but telling people this keeps them out of my way). But when I'm on the mini, some people seem to think that it's perfectly safe to be in the way- it's NOT. Usually I'm alone, but I do some work for a landscaper every now and then on a day rate basis and he just doesn't get it. No amount of explaining seems to get through that hands and feet shouldn't be near the bucket and a human body should be between a machine a trailer that's being loaded. :Banghead The mini is a good money maker, but some days I think I should sell it and get something that looks a little scarier. ointhead
And why is it that when your loading equipment that people want to stand on the downhill side, right next to you, even if its raining? Thats gets be every time.
If anyone is within the danger area around the machine it is your responsibility to stop till they are no longer in that area. Tell them you will not continue till they are out of a area.
You're absolutely right, and that's what I do. I must have stopped and waited 2 dozen times yesterday alone. I'm glad I was on a day rate, and not on a fixed bid.
curiosity killed the cat, same thing can happen with people.
just tell them your machine has a 10 foot kill radius, that usually works. Just add a bigger number for a bigger machine. I've seen an inspector knock into a ditch, walked up on the blind side as the operator was swinging back to dig. I covered a young laborer with sand once, I seen him just as I swung with a full bucket of sand from the box. Missed him by a foot, but he was covered head to toe with sand, He did however learn from the near miss.
You could buy a Cat 385 and some people will still get in your way.
I tell them that I WILL hit them if they don't move. Not that I really would... or would I...
as a person that has been off the side of a trailer with a 28,000 lb machine. i yell and cuss them. we can be friends later.
Just keep telling them to move ,it's what you've gotta do unfortunately. It's a horrible feeling when you realize you've run over some one ! I know . Once you tell them that you have actually hit some one , most get the picture. Some never will. Seasoned operators too.
my foreman said that to a laborer too. he went through with it.
Try digging on an Amish farm sometime. I had to totally flip out on them kids as they were just enchanted with my machine. Told the parents if they did not discipline their kids I would. It is down right scary to have little 2 and 3 year olds getting way too close.
The horn will get irritating, too, after a while. That's one of the reasons it's there.