Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D-5

hardrock ยท 2015-01-24 20:50

My Dozer when going in a straight line at top speed will surge back and forth not touching the controls it is hydrostat drive , surge back an forth ,, and when pushing it does good but if I stop for a second an take off it barley takes off an then it gets up to speed , but I can pull it back in reverse and back to forward an it will take right off with no hesitation itis a 2007 lgp. Hoping someone might know about this it has 7350 hrs

Replies12
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-01-24 22:37

    D5K or D5G ,what is it , and what's the s/n? Any lights on the dash or codes showing up?

  2. #2Turbo_Drive2015-01-25 00:28

    When you say surge back and forth you mean like a power surge? I was running a D5G a while back and it would do the same thing. It would be fine pushing a good load then it would all of a sudden back down on the power for a few seconds. I would stop and start again and like you said it would creep forward a little then take on off. It ended up being some trash in the tank and was plugging the fuel line up between the tank and the small fuel filter that's on the left side on the cab. I changed the filters and filled the tank and it stopped until it got back to 1/4 tank and did it again, I pulled the first filter off and It wasn't getting any fuel to it, I then added about 15 gallons of fuel and I guess it pushed the trash though cause I started getting fuel again. I never let it get below 1/2 a tank from then on and had no more trouble.

  3. #3hardrock2015-01-25 09:35

    It is a d5 g , and no the motor doesn't hesitate it is hydraulics I guess, I can be pushing an it will push good but if I stop and sit for a min. And take back off it will barley take off then get faster as it goes but if I pull it back in reverse an back to fowared it takes off good , it acts like hydrulics are weak, but it pushes fine .and no there is no lights coming on.

  4. #4Nige2015-01-25 09:52

    Machine Setial Number? Or at least the prefix.

  5. #5hardrock2015-01-25 10:06

    S. N. Cat00D5GARKG03229

  6. #6tekemp2015-01-25 10:34

    I would check the fuel system...I had one with a week fuel pump that would do similar things to what you are describing

  7. #7hardrock2015-01-25 10:37

    Engine runs fine plenty power

  8. #8Dickjr.2015-01-25 11:57

    Sounds like you have it under control.

  9. #9Nige2015-01-25 14:21

    When was the last time you drained water and sediment from either the fuel tank, from the primary fuel filter/water separator, and/or changed the fuel filter ..?

  10. #10Turbo_Drive2015-01-25 15:15

    I maybe wrong but I'm with takeem, I'd start at the fuel system just to be sure. The one I was running would do the same thing when it first started. It would hold its rpms but would just slow down and speed back up, then it eventually got worse.

  11. #11caterpillarmech2015-01-26 05:20

    I would start with the simple things like fuel first. I it all checks out, then I would look into get it calibrated. On the G series this can give all kinds of faults. Low pushing power, and surging are tow of them. Can you spin the tracks going into a pile?

  12. #12hardrock2015-01-26 20:58

    Yea it will spin the tracks An I will ck out the fuel system tomarow thanks a lot for everyone's help