Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D-6H differential steer trans oil.

Multiracer ยท 2013-08-06 19:27

Hello folks, I need some trans oil and do not have time to run to CAT for their specific oil this week. What can I substitute as a fill in until I get to CAT ? I only need to top it off, I just don't want to let it get to the "add" marking on the stick. Thanks in advance. Ron

Replies5
  1. #1Construct'O2013-08-06 22:26

    I have always used a good grade of 30W motor oil in my D6H since new until a few years ago i went to the Cat new trans oil.They said with the clucthes they use now you should use there new oil.Which could be right. But for the first 20 years my D6H has always used 30W motor oil and has 18,000 hours on clock.Transmission has never been touched,but is going to the shop next month here for a rebuilt.Still just as strong as it was when new.Might add machine was bought new and has always been one owner machine by ME!!!!!! Good luck.

  2. #2Construct'O2013-08-06 22:29

    Also as a after thought you need to find out where the oil is going and fix it Asap!!!!!! If it is the right hose leaking if it breaks you can empty the trans in about 10 feet.

  3. #3Multiracer2013-08-07 06:51

    Thanks for the info. I ask because the fluid in it when I purchased this machine is very clean but has a "gear oil" aroma to it. It has taken over a year for the oil to start showing low on the stick and I just wanted to top it off, no major leaks yet with 14,000+ hours.

  4. #4Nige2013-08-07 07:03

    Ron, the correct oil for D6H transmission should be an SAE30 oil that meets TO-4 specification. This contains the necessary additives for transmission clutch service. All the major lubricant manufacturers make an oil to this specification, it's not necessary to buy oil from the Cat dealer.

  5. #5Multiracer2013-08-07 17:47

    Thanks for the tip Nige. As always your wisdom is appreciated. Ron