Came across this and wondered what the go is with the exhaust set up? Some sort of scrubber? Clean air regulation? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kYkEdVP22c&feature=related
You nailed it, clean air regs. It is a particulate filter system. Here is a discussion about it in an old forum: http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1042419 J
One more d*** thing to break down that doesn't add a thing to the performance. I hate it.
I wonder what that does to the decible level inside the cab?
Not sure about the decibels but I bet it makes it vibrate just a tad. Also I'd be interested to see ow they mounted it without voiding the cab FOPS certification. On the 11 the ROPS is the "bridge" over the back of the cab but the cab roof itself is FOPS certified as well because the ROPS does not cover the whole of the cab roof area. This must be a Field Follow machine to be shot in 2009, the 11T was officially introduced later than that (mid-to-late 2010 I think). The exhaust must be aftermarket because there's nothing like that listed for the 11T that I can see, even in Custom Products.
It shouldn't affect the cab structure certification, looks like all mounting is done directly on the rollover bar (ROPS group). J
My apologies, I didn't look too closely. OK, so the same comments apply regarding the ROPS. Drill, weld, bolt, or screw anything to that structure and the certification is void. Speaking from personal experience I have de-certified ROPS structures in the past by removing the plate (back in the days when it was fixed with 4 rivets, they're glued on nowadays) because customers had welded on them with gay abandon.
The structure on top of the ROPS on a Cat dozer IE the boxy section where the lifting lugs are is not actually the ROPS itself, it is just for aesthetics and it is the bar section underneath it that is considered the ROPS, so you can weld to the boxy piece OK. We have just done some mods on one to mount a tether line to it for some one to tie off on and this was the info we recieved back as our welders were a bit reluctant to weld to it in the begining.
Gav, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just in the past I've found customers welding willy-nilly all over ROPS structures. Welding brackets for hand-held fire extinguishers or automatic suppression systems on the support legs was always a favourite, welding brackets for site numbers, beacons, Dispatch system/radio antennae, etc, etc, were others. I haven't been up on top of an 11 for a few years now but on our current 9T's and 10T's there are 4 round bosses about 75mm diameter and a about 50mm high with something like an M16 thread in them welded to the roof of both the cab and the ROPS in a pattern about 750mm square. You can make a 6mm thick base plate to bolt on to those bosses then weld whatever on to that plate that you like. We shouted long and loud about it, it looks like Cat finally listened. If I get close to one of our tractors in the coming week I'll hop up and take some photos of the roof.
Looks like sound suppression to me. Well the DHS link as I cannot view the vid on the I-Phone. Some say it's a soot filter but the C32 burns far to clean unlike the 3508. Once the engines up to temp they hardly smoke at all. The first ever D11T was at the "River" when I worked up there. That went in mid 2007 IIRC. Then another 3 went in mid to late 2008. None on 11T's here have that on and they are loud at full hole!
Those M16 bosses are on most of the cabs on Cat machines. They're lifting points for cab removal, and can be used to mount cab guards, etc. Using them to mount cab-top equipment doesn't void ROPS certification. As for the particulate filter, they do make the exhaust quieter as a secondary benefit. That would most likely have been a development machine, a field follow would have been much closer to production and there's no way it would go into production with the DPF mounted on the roof. Cat's preference is to lift the engine compartment line.
How bad does an arrangement like this effect performance and power?
I agree with the last part of your statement, that's why we were pestering Cat for years to put some threaded bosses up there so that accessories could be bolted in position and take away the temptation of welding to the roof of the ROPS structure once and for all. The cab roof of this 9T has a total of 8 bosses installed on it. 4 of them hold up the plate which does nothing as far as I can see apart from anchor the wiring harness for the rear ROPS floodlight. The other 4 are unused, but if they were meant for lifting the ROPS (see below) wouldn't they be in a square pattern and installed nearer to the corners..? According to the Service Manuals for all large tractors the procedure described therein to lift the ROPS off & on is using the brackets located at each side of the ROPS, the one that is located just behind the reflective tape in the photo.
D10T with ROPS mounted AC Condensors Nige is correct, the large bosses are actually for mounting the condensor unit if you so choose the option to have it up there. When we got the DSN back it stated the cover over the ROPS bar is not what is certified as ROPS so will not decertify the ROPS if you weld on it. The cover i refer to is the section with the reflective tape on it in front of the lifting lugs. The large section bar underneath is what is deemed the ROPS. I know what you are saying though welding all over the show mate. If anyone ever remembers the preprod photos of the original D10,s they just had the bar section and it looked goofy and like something was missing so they put the cover section over it to make it look a little more pleasing to the eye and it has stuck ever since, one thing that bit helps you to determine is the front and the back as the longer portion of it goes to the front but you see them round the wrong way sometimes.
Here is how an 11T should sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6olETcWyo
Nige, you're right. The bosses I mean are mounted near the corners of the cab structure, but not always symetrically. Depends on the centre of gravity of the structure. I have muddied the waters here, I was talking about the bosses mounted to the cabs, not the ROPS you've shown here and I've put ROPS when I meant FOPS. Sorry guys, kick up backside accepted.
No worries. If you'd have written "excavator cab" you'd have been 100% right - 4 bosses on the corner that you're supposed to use to lift the cab.
Not just the excavator cabs.