Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sub contracted dozer operator questions

ryan01 ยท 2012-03-22 23:44

Hey just a quick question I'm going to be working for someone here in bc operating there D4 dozer but subcontracted so they pay fuel supply the dozer and I just pay my own taxes what is a fair hourly rate to expect days are roughly 10.5-11 hours he will also pay 12% on top of what ever we agree on I will also sometimes be operating a hoe thanks for the help cheers ryan

Replies10
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-03-23 01:39

    Sounds to me like you are more of an employee than a subcontractor. His dozer, his fuel, he sets the hours and work location, you run other equipment as he says or needs, you provide only the labor. I don't know Canadian labor laws, but in the US, they are cracking down on "improper classification", which is what the situation fits to a T. It is usually done to evade things like workers comp insurance, and other employer costs. Who pays if you get hurt?

  2. #2ryan012012-03-23 01:43

    Well ya more less I pay my own taxes and wcb more less an employee but unsure of a rate to ask for ?

  3. #3ryan012012-03-23 01:46

    I usually make 28 an hour when I work for Someone else and if I gotta cover my own wcb and such not sure what Would b a good rate so it also benefits me

  4. #4DirtHauler2012-03-23 01:51

    I assume you have your own business license and are billing him through your own company?

  5. #5ryan012012-03-23 01:53

    Yah billing through my company

  6. #6ryan012012-03-26 17:09

    any idea ?

  7. #7dblaneyfan2012-03-26 17:38

    Add about 30-40% for his benefit of not providing insurance. I see you mentioned making around $28/hr, I would add another $10/hr for lack of insurance. You said also that he agrees to pay 12% on top of the agreed salary, is this for taxes? Make sure that you have enough figured in for federal and BC income taxes, especially if you think you are going to make enough this year to jump up a bracket. Federal = 15% B.C. = 5 - 8% Fair to you would be in the $45 - 50.00/hr range total, including the 12% he says he will pay you over your agreement. So you should settle in the area of $40 - $44/hr. J

  8. #8ryan012012-03-26 17:58

    perfect thanks for the advice man cheers

  9. #901440X2012-08-10 15:31

    Did you get the rate?

  10. #10D3DaveC2012-08-11 00:33

    What do you think are the employers expense for fuel and wear and tear of his D4? What model, D4k,G,C,D,E? Is he making enough on his machine?