Hello everyone! A while back I was reading about the D12 rumors. So I made one , I'd love to see what other people think it would look like *if* it was built. \ Don't worry if they don't look great, (mine is terrible, but it looks alright zoomed way out) just post em please =)
I,ll take a guess and say nothing like the D10T you have cut and paste, it would be larger than the current D11T and that is really all that could be said how it would look. It will get built one day though.
Yeah alright I'll have a go at it with a D11T/R pic... =P I hope it does get built!
My guess is it would look much more like the new D7E as I am sure it would incorporate the new Diesel Electric power train of that machine.
The only thing it would have in common with the D7E is that it would be yellow and burn diesel. The large tractors D8 and above will never go back to low sprocket design.
Nevr is a long long time Gavin. I have heard reports of the D7E being the entrance platform for the new power arrangement. Why would Cat not up size it to the D8's through D11's with the benefits of more push on less fuel?
i can maybe see the E series going into an 8, and going into a 6 and getting rid of the K series but i dont see it going into anything bigger. And I dont see them getting rid of the high track 8T's and 6T's
I would have to agree with Greg...If the 7E is a success, Cat would almost be forced to integrate the technology in their larger tractors.
The D7E is the way to go IMHO, because electric motors have a lot of torque and it is really efficient from what I have read.:my2c
I suspect that even if the D8-D11+ went to diesel electric, you would still see them with the high final drives. There are a few benefits outside of the power train to the design.
The fuel efficiency of the D7E is mainly because of the electric drive, not the new low drive. I can´t see any reason why future big dozers, D8 and up, to be low drive, but they might inherit the electric technology. But maybe somebody here knows some more about that...
Well overnight I designed this: I know it is a bit subtle but.... I'll work on a low drive one now And mabye a bigger high drive one.
My comment on them never going back to low sprocket is based on your comment that you think it would look like the new D7E. I am very very confident they will never go back to low drive on the D8 and larger machines, you have to know the reasons why they went to hi drive in the first place and having ED or mechanical drive does not change that logic. It could be driven by an energy polariser and high drive would still be the choice. In regards to the drive method i didn,t say they would not go to an ED and i believe this will happen to run the advantages the D7 enjoys from that style of drive system not to far down the track.
It is so hard to find a straight shot of a low drive cat lol... It is SOOOOOO much harder to do with an angular shot. Might take a while lol I might do some with my 1:50 scale models if that is ok with everyone?
Gavin, I know, I have heard all of the reasons for going to the high drive. I also know owners and operators that have never really cared for high drive myself among them. The trend seems to have been going away from it when you look at everything from the new D7E series and smaller at this point.
How is coming out with one new dozer considered getting away from high drive???
Here is our own pitty atempt at a D12 a couple years ago.
Here is a video of a D11R with a fresh rebuild, new blade, new ripper and all painted for the prom. http://mydeo.vo.llnwd.net/o1/u/m3/8bbec3e2b25b4fb3b8b4521c67a9da6a.wmv Try modeling from here.
One of my customers is curently runnin a d7e along side a d6rII,d7rII and a d8t. They say it pushes about the same as the 7, burns fuel like the 6 (same engine c9 ). More stable feel on the slopes. But those low finals really hange out there in the rock. The view from the seat on the 7e is really nice though. Time will tell.