I am new to dozers. I bought a 1990 vintage Dresser TD7G and I am going thru the service items. I will be operating some in cold weather. ( less than 20F ) The Hydraulic system which runs the 6-way blade calls for API CD/CC SAE 10W engine oil or Dresser Hydraulic Transmission Fluid. It takes 14 gallons. The Transmission/Torque Converter also calls for API CD/CC SAE 10W engine oil or Dresser Hydraulic Transmission Fluid and it takes 19 gallons. I am not sure what to use. What was Dresser Fluid ? If I go with the engine oil, which is fairly expensive, should it be detergent or non-detergent ? There is a wide price range in Hydraulic Transmission Fluids. Bond Auto has some for $60 a pail and Permatran III is $115 a pail and I don't understand the difference. What should I use for fluids ?? I don't mind spending money where it will do me some good but I don't want to waste it. Thanks
I think 10W engine oil is fine. If you have a Komatsu dealer close they have it. Or larger oil suppliers will have it. I use the Komatsu brand which is Castrol I think. Last pail was 82$. I don't like using aw32 or aw46 , as the manuel says 10 w engine oil.
I have a TD 8G 1993 model. I went all the same things you are. Mine leaked transmission oil to bad to put high dollar oil in it. I went to local oil and fuel distributor and we researched it and came up with 10 w oil. I use a brand called Super S, it's a TO4 oil suitable for hydraulic and transmission. So far seems to be doing well,hope I helped a little,Good Luck.
Thanks for the replies. In searching around using your info I found this interesting piece from Mordern Machinery http://www.modernmachinery.com/stories/oil_recs.htm If I read it right it says TO-4 oil is a good replcement for API CD motor oil for transmission use. Newer super slick motor oils like CF-4 and CI-4 and above should not be used.