Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D2 pony motor

Brandt ยท 2013-03-19 16:15

I just picked up an old D2 that has a pony motor. While watching videos on YouTube, in order to learn how to start it, I came across pony motors that were electric start. Other than CAT, can somebody point me in the direction to see if one is available for my unit.

Replies9
  1. #1Scrub Puller2013-03-19 17:36

    Yair . . . Brandt Mate. If that little motor is hard to start I reckon it would be a lot cheaper to figure out why than to try and fix it by going electric. The little jiggers could be pernickity but once you had them figured (in my experience) they always started. You might have to flood one then pull it over (say) twice with the taps on to purge it then turn the taps off no choke full throttle and it would go every time . . . next one would be different but no trouble once you have them figured. Cheers.

  2. #2Old Magnet2013-03-19 20:56

    Electric start for the pony motors was available for most all of them. Some of the early "J" model D2's might be a little harder to find but they are out there. What s/n do you have?

  3. #3Brandt2013-03-22 17:43

    It is a 5J S/N. A friend suggested rigging up a starter from a Ford 8N or 9N. He said to set it up with a pulley and belt around the pony motor flywheel. Sounds easy and cheap. The biggest problem I have is getting it started when it is on my trailer, in order to get it off. The trailer is not wide enough for me to get a good pull and pulling from the ground makes me feel my age!

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-03-22 20:32

    Yair . . . Brandt Gotcha with the age thing mate, I understand the problem now. (grinning) I have never seen a two or a four or even many sixes with electric start pilot (pony) motors. Old Magnet knows his stuff though and if he says they are available they are . . . I can see some issues with the belt drive set up. Mostly if things are cheap and easy everyone has done it Best of luck and cheers.

  5. #5TomA2013-03-24 10:07

    I have a portable starter motor that I use with a belt on several D2's and D4's. It works for me. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

  6. #6Awhelan2013-03-24 12:17

    My D4 came with an old 24 volt golf cart motor setup to drive the flywheel by belt. You can see the handle for the motor leaning against the pony gas tank. You got the electric motor spinning then applied tension by pulling the handle toward you. The previous owner said he added the motor in the sixties and has used it ever since. He said when the diesel was warm it the electric would start it without the pony.

  7. #7Brandt2013-03-25 17:02

    I think that is the way I'm gonna go.

  8. #8Awhelan2013-03-25 18:51

    If I remember this weekend I'll get you a few more pics of the mount

  9. #9Rob Gunn2013-03-26 09:10

    I have a D4 the same as Awhelan and when I got it the guy that had it before me had put a 12 Volt stater / generator on it that was from a old cub cadet lawn mower. This works great because it started the pony and would also recharge the battery once the pony was running.