Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850H starting problem

COWBOYUPNAW ยท 2013-03-19 12:16

I have a Case 850H with about 4600hrs on it. It runs great and has had no major problems. This past weekend when you turn it off it would not die immediately. It would run a few seconds after you turned the key off and then die. It also turned over 1st thing in the morning several times before it finally started. After it started the 1st time it fired right up every other time. Then yesterday I went to use it and all it would do is turn over. I thought it acted like it wasn't getting any fuel, so I pushed the primer button about 10 times and it fired right up like it always has. Does anyone know what this could be or waht I need to check? It has never done this before. It always starts as soon as you turn the key.

Replies7
  1. #1swampman2013-03-19 14:19

    Check vent on fuel tank. They sometimes get clogged and inhibit fuel flow out of the tank. And, make sure you drain the fuel/water seperator. I had a valve on an injector pump seize up and cause cranking issues. Also check fuel shutoff solenoid at the injector pump, sounds like it could be seizing up as well with your shut down issues.

  2. #2COWBOYUPNAW2013-03-19 14:39

    Ok. I will check that. Is there anything else I should check. The solenoid is working. I turned the key and could see it move the rod.

  3. #3swampman2013-03-19 14:44

    Not sure what pump you have, but no "rod" present on the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump I was working on. Make sure you have power to solenoid when key is on and off when key is off. It wouldn't hurt to pull solenoid and watch it "move" when power is applied. Sounds like yours may be sticking.

  4. #4grandpa2013-03-19 14:44

    I have never been around a case, but it sound similar to a problem I had with a cummins,,,, it was bad injector seal's on that engine... when you shut it off does it still wanna run a little longer every time?

  5. #5COWBOYUPNAW2013-03-19 15:16

    Swampman-It is the cummins 6BT with a Bosch injection pump. The solenoid is mounted on the pump and you can see the rod move when you try to start it. I will pull it off and check everything like you said. Grandpa-It will run a few seconds after you turn the key off.

  6. #6grandpa2013-03-19 17:26

    What make's me believe its injector seal's is it run's a tad after shutting the key off and also you have to crank it or prime it up again. Fuel comes from the pump and surrounds the injector . The fuel is held around the injector by upper and lower o-ring seals. If the bottom oring is leaking it allow's the fuel to drop into the cylinder thus allowing the engine to run a little longer. It also drains the area around the injector of fuel causing the hard starting. Also at idle you may hear a little surging in the engine. I just don't know if that's the system you have being unfamiliar with case. Gramps.

  7. #7Delmer2013-03-19 19:44

    IF that's the same p7100 inline pump, AND the same solenoid that is on the Dodge ram 94-98, then the solenoid has a run coil and a start coil, the run coil will only hold the pump on, the start is the coil that moves the pump to on. You can disconnect the rod and move it to the run position and try to start it, then move it to off and see if it stops. The other symptoms sound like other fuel issues to me, but I can't explain all those symptoms together.