Could use some help guys, My d21 is taking forever to start. It spins over fine but just doesnt start as quickly as it used to. could this be a glow plug problem and how do you check them. The fuel filter has been recently replaced,air filter is clean. before it actually starts white smoke comes out of the exhaust and when it does start it acts like its loaded up with fuel, it kinda stumbles a bit before clearing out. this only happens the 1st time in the morning, the rest of the day it starts up normally. Any help would be appreciated.
Im not familiar with your unit, but put a test light on the base of the glowplug the other end where the wire connects to it. If it lights up the glowplug is good.
Will do, thanks Grandpa.
you bet.
Is your glow plug indicator in the dash glowing? If the indicator burns out, the plugs get no power. That happens with these little Kommies.
Thanks Mitch, it's not glowing. Pretty sure thats the problem. I wonder how expensive those things are?
Just a quick follow up, the glow plug indicator was burnt out so I replaced it with an inline fuse block with a 30a fuse. Now after turning the key to the left for about 5-6 secs the dozer starts right up. yea
Hey! Cool, I guessed right for once, and even better, Granpa missed! Seriously, thanks for the update, it helps us all when we see what the answer was. Mitch
: Told you I didn't know the machine.
turns out that the glow plug indicator was just a piece of heavy guage wire that heats up and glows. I was thinking I probably could have wired in a cigarette lighter element, but I didnt have one laying around. Thanks to both of you (Grandpa and Mitch) for pointing me in the right direction
Ahh, you just using that for an excuse for all the stuff you forgot when senility kicked in 30 yrs ago.