I have a D282 with a bad block. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get a bare block, as I am not having any success finding something. Also, is there a newer engine that will bolt up in its place? Thanks for your help!
You need to provide a better description (make,model,year). lots of help here if you help us with info.
Lots of info comes up with a google search http://www.ytmag.com/crawlers/messages/57032.html Wonder if it's out of an International backhoe, if so it may be a German Nuess engine, and may have been used in IH farm tractors too. Check with tractor wreckers. Phil
The engine is out of a '69 IH 3800 loader/backhoe. Engine model is D282, serial #79590. Thanks, guys!
I had an IH 3800 backhoe once, it was a 4 wheel drive unit with the front wheels same size as the rear. It had rear axle steer and an Allison automatic. The engine was famous for hard starting and was used in various machines including combines and cranes. I never came across anyone who had anything good to say about that engine except that it was smooth running. It loved glow plugs and ether, you had to use both. I have heard of people rebuilding these 6 cylinder engines completely, only to find out they started no better. The 3800 backhoe was the most comfortable machine I have ever operated. I believe a 3-53 Detroit engine would bolt-up to that transmission. Phil
The 560 farmall, the 660 international, the early 706 tractors, the 416 cotton pickers used this engine . I believe it has the same block as some of the gas engines. Know where a 560 is that need o-haul for about a grand.
I have a complete D282 if you still need one.
Welcome to the forum halfpint:drinkup. Hope this chap gets your message. Phil
Still have that D282? You wouldn't happen to still have that D282, would you? I know this post is several years old, but I'm hoping. If not, would you know where I could get my hands on one? Thanks, Dan