Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3 Cylinder seal kits?

Kootenai Buggy · 2020-05-15 16:14

I have a 1974 D3 (ser. # 79U 0810) with factory 6-way blade. All my blade cylinders need seal kits. I went to Cat dealer and they couldn't look anything up unless I get the part numbers off the cylinders. I can find no part numbers on the cylinders (they are original). The Cat rep came out and looked at it, but couldn't find part numbers on the cylinders either. The blade number is 85U918. Tried the Cat forum, but cannot log on to it. I need to get back to work. Does anyone know what cylinder seal kit numbers would fit? Aftermarket parts are OK with me. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1AllDodge2020-05-15 16:59

    Have to agree, there isn't much info and nothing on the hydraulics. Its like the unit didn't come with a blade and maybe was added later Have not seen a blade with 2 numbers and a letter (85U) they are all one number and then letter. When I enter 85U prefix it comes back with several 27Y arrangements (my model) and one for 85U00001 and up Looked at it and it has the cylinders listed and they are 3.5 diameter and one large nut type screw on end cap. These seal kits along with the ones for my 27Y use kits 246-5914 Cat is showing about $122 each, but I bought mine after market from Tornado and got everyone they had which was only 5, (how many I needed). See if mine look like yours post 50 HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2norman1232020-05-15 19:02

    I had all my cylinders rebuild last year. At that time I don’t know how to find part number. What I did is measure the rod and cylinder rod seal cover. Since Amazon have free return I just buy one kit first from amazon. And it fit very well.

  3. #3Kootenai Buggy2020-05-15 23:01

    Norman123, thank you.

  4. #4Kootenai Buggy2020-05-15 23:15

    Thanks so much. This is great info.

  5. #5Bluox2020-05-16 00:25

    Here is a couple of cylinder numbers to have your parts guy check, 7J 9223 lift cylinder group 7J9222 cylinder assem., 8J0096 angle cylinder group 8J0094 cylinder assem. Good luck Bob

  6. #6Old Magnet2020-05-16 01:39

    and the tilt cylinder group is 8J0095, 8J0093 cylinder assembly.