Been looking at a few D3's, D4's, and D5's (70's and 80's models). Some of the 3's and 4's I've seen are built in Japan. Does anyone have any input on the differences between the US built machines and the Japanese in these models? Mainly with regard to quality of workmanship, durability, ease of repair and maintenance, and parts availability. Any other info would be appreciated as well. Never really been a fan of anything not made in the USA, but on the D3B in particular, I do like the way the throttle is an actual lever on the Jap built machine. I used to run one with the T-handle throttle....didn't like that setup very much. Thanks.
I've run a 1979 D3 japanese machine for a few years now. It's a cabin dozer, but very tight and it has been taken very well care of. It has about 3300 hours on it, original. Brand new undercarriage and that's it. I do like the way the governor is setup, and for maintenance its the same. The machine seems to be the same quality of an american one, but the steering clutches seem to work a little different. Might just be the machines I've run, but the jap machine takes a little braking action to get to turn. In our bogs up here in alaska the d3b is very unbalanced and heavy for its size, with a bad ground clearance issue in the rear of the machine, and the tracks don't stick out behind the machine. Case 450's are way better in the bogs and so are deere muskegs. Doesn't like climbing up logs backwards at all. Also the dry fit connections up front are weird, no greasing on this machine at all. The biggest issue we had was the blade c frame rod ends that go into the frame inside of the track frame area were loose and wobbled the holes out. I have seen multiple american d3's do the same. The rock guards were welded on at the factory, and bolted too. Had to be carbon arced off for the roller replacement. Then re-welded. The welds all seemed good throughout the machine except for the rops, there's some spatter welds on that from the factory. Trying to push wet thick clay is a fight, the blade likes to dive or rise a lot, the case 450's and the deers don't, must be Cats geometry on the c frame.
I haven't a clue about those machines, but my D6C was a Mitsubishi built machine and other than the scribbles for words, I can't tell its quality apart from the US built C's I've been around. Runs like a sewing machine.
No choice on the D3's, there all built in Japan.
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the D3's were all built there......learn something everyday.
I must be confusing the japan version imported vs the all american tag versions.