Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3 dozer issue – creeps in 1st and 2nd takes off in 3rd

sepulchral · 2019-09-20 09:03

What would cause an old d3 with powershift transmission to creep extremely slow in first and second gears but in third gear take off and go just fine?

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2019-09-20 09:22

    3F/3R powershift or 3F/1R..? If it is 3F/3R does it do the same in both forward and reverse.?

  2. #2sepulchral2019-09-20 10:50

    I believe its 3F/3R - an auction house said it was in great shape and sold it to me and then i talked to their yard manager and he says thats what its doing. Assume its doing same thing in both forward/reverse and assume its not. what do you think? Model: D3C LGP Series III Year: 1994 Serial No.: 7XL0XXXX

  3. #3Nige2019-09-20 11:12

    If it was described as “being in great shape” by the auction house and it obviously isn’t, do you have any remedy to refuse it because it was “not as described”..? TBH that’s what I’d be looking to do. If it’s a 3F/3R machine and it does it in both forward and reverse it sounds like a transmission problem of slipping clutches for 1st & 2nd speeds the way you describe it. That would be a transmission out and rebuild job. I take it you haven’t laid eyes on it yet.?

  4. #4sepulchral2019-09-20 11:34

    They are giving me the runaround at the auction house they had a pre-inspection report it said it was fine The yard manager is being a douche bag and telling me that my bid is binding regardless I won other items there too which makes it difficult to just walk away

  5. #5Nige2019-09-20 12:51

    IMHO you are helically wound around an inclined plane - in other words, screwed...…. The tractor is 3F/3R, so the question remains does it perform the same in both forward and reverse.?

  6. #6sepulchral2019-09-20 18:51

    i dont know.. ill have to pick it upi can let you know what i find... thank you for your help as usual

  7. #7sepulchral2019-09-23 12:05

    If you full throttle you can get 2 to engage, 3 is fine at any throttle. Same in reverse. 1 does not engage in forward or reverse.

  8. #8kshansen2019-09-23 14:06

    I'm thinking the first thing I would want to do would be to remove the magnetic filter and screen. Well from looking at the parts break down make that the second thing as it looks like the screen is on the bottom of the transmission case so draining oil would be first! That would be Item 27 in the above image. And at the same time remove the transmission filter. The cover is the Cat Yellow one in image below with six bolts: I'm thinking that I would not want to be connecting any gauges to a system that may have major amount of trash going through it. Hate to ruin a good set of gauges!

  9. #9Welder Dave2019-09-23 14:10

    What do you mean the auction house sold it to you? Did you bid on it or did they sell it to you privately? Did you buy it sight unseen? Is there a copy of the inspection report? If it clearly shows the transmission functions properly in all gears, you may have a case of misrepresentation. My machine has a 3F/1R trans. but when I had it out (with the engine) the shop checked the screen and it was clean so they said that's a good sign the trans. is OK. The 3F/3R trans has a filter instead of a screen. Opening up the filter to have a look may provide some relevant info regarding the trans. issues. kshansen posted while I was replying and provided more info to help you.

  10. #10sepulchral2019-09-23 20:36

    Ritchie brothers. Posted it as a good machine and it wouldn’t ramp. I had a prebid on it and they took the prebid. $10900 to my door. It’s a nice looking machine. I tried to fight it. They said they are not responsible for inspection even though they had written it was a good machine. They should have dropped my prebid. I bought a D6n for $20k too so I had to pay the invoice to get that deal.

  11. #11Welder Dave2019-09-24 02:08

    It doesn't matter how it looks if it needs thousands in repairs. Was there no way to look it over in person and try it out?

  12. #12Nige2019-09-24 04:50

    It appears as though that horse bolted long ago...….

  13. #13Vetech632019-09-24 07:30

    Typical auction machine. This is typical too. No auction place checks equipment out thoroughly. They start them and maybe move the hydraulics around a bit, and maybe see if the transmission goes into gear. If they took a pre-bid then they more than likely knew the machine would bring less money on the floor. Seems to me they knew there was an issue. JMHO Its likely the transmission will need an overhaul as said above. I'll bet the 1st and 2nd gear clutch plate are saucer shaped.

  14. #14kshansen2019-09-24 08:39

    I know this first hand from the other side of the coin. Company I worked for was selling, among other equipment, a 988B Cat. It just happened that this machine had a pinion shaft twisted off on the rear axle. The "inspector" came out and looked at the machine started and moved back and forth a few feet in each gear, steered it right and left and raised boom and tilted the bucket. Never looked underneath or tried to scoop up a bucket of stone. I was under orders to not say anything to the "inspector" told it was his job and not mine! I have a feeling someone was a bit disappointed when they tried to hit a stone pile the first time. I'm sure sometimes one can get a good deal buying an auction machine but there is some reasons why they are being sold at an auction and most of them are not good reasons!

  15. #15Nige2019-09-24 08:46

    As difficult as it appears I think the OP should hold off until he actually receives the tractor at his place. Right now he's running round trying to second-guess what the problem actually is and doesn't even know the full S/N other than it's a 7XL-prefix Series III. IMHO the right way to tackle this is to get hands on the machine and then start checking ****, such as: - 1. Correct oil in powertrain.? Correct level.? 2. Cut filter and look for particles. Ditto for suction screen(s) if equipped. 3. If the above yields nothing, a set of gauges and a full powertrain pressure test. Like Vetech, I'm of the opinion that the discs & plates of clutches #5 & #4 can probably be consigned to history, but wouldn't it be a kicker if it was nothing more than **** in the transmission control valve..?