Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3 k

LDK ยท 2014-08-10 12:56

I am having to run a D3Kxl at the moment and the blade control on it has no feel to it. The CAT dealer has been out and re-calibrated it but it has not really improved. Does anyone on here know if the tension or resistance in the blade lever itself can be adjusted. It is not a well balanced dozer and with the blade control as it is, using it is a painful experience. Thank you in advance, Russ

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2014-08-10 13:08

    The implement hydraulics "sensitivity" on the D3K has 3 settings - Fine, Standard, & Fast. Which setting are you using right now..? Do you know how to change between settings using the Mode & Scroll buttons located just below the instrument panel..?

  2. #2LDK2014-08-10 21:47

    Nige, I was hoping that you would be on the case. I have tried it in all three settings....... Fine =bad, standard = worse, fast = very bad! If the lever had more physical resistance it might be better to use. As a side note I am not the only guy that uses this dozer, three others have the pleasure but not if they have the chance to dodge it. Russ

  3. #3Nige2014-08-10 21:55

    What type of hydraulic oil is in the system..? Just want to rule things out.

  4. #4Nige2014-08-11 07:58

    I've looked at the control lever and it appears to be a sealed unit. When the dealer "calibrated" it do you have any idea what they calibrated..? Also try a simple test. With hyd oil at operating temperature and engine at high idle try raising the blade from the ground to max height. The specified time is 2.2 +/- 0.3 secs. That might tell us something.

  5. #5LDK2014-08-11 12:20

    I have no idea what hydraulic oil it has in it. It is a Cat Rental machine so I would hope that they have the right oil in it but over here there is no guarantees I will check the lift time tomorrow and get back to you. Had the same dozer in here last season, it was better then but by no means a pleasure to be on I see that the lever is made of plastic, could it just be worn out?

  6. #6Nige2014-08-11 13:04

    If it's rental machine tell them to either get out there and fix it or haul it off and bring you one that works ...........!!

  7. #7LDK2014-08-13 21:45

    Nige, If was on the outside looking in I would say exactly the same as you, but here I know it is not going to work that way, thats the reason I was asking about adjustment. I did check the lift time and it seems to be about right. I only have another couple of months left of this season so if I have to live with it till then its not the end of the world, just frustrating. Thank you for checking it out. Russ