Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D318 pup/pony motor

Brent Irwin ยท 2017-09-06 20:04

I am looking for some info on the pony or pup motor on my dozer. It has 977 spray painted on the side and the tag on the motor says power unit # 5V16667. The model says D318. Looking for info so I can get myself a manual for it. I think the pup/pony motor is siezed. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. First time user too so bear with me hahaha

Replies5
  1. #1old-iron-habit2017-09-06 20:13

    I assume your dozer is a 9U series. Or is it a loader Cat? Post your serial number. I may have an extra engine manual. It is not unusual for the pony to be stuck if left setting for a while. It is very easy to pull the heads with the pony in place. The head gaskets are reusable on that engine. Often you will find stuck valves that can be tapped with a wood block softener and freed up. Them engines will run and start the main when they are as low as 30 PSI on compression.

  2. #2Brent Irwin2017-09-06 20:16

    I appreciate the quick reply. It is a track loader. I assumed the serial number was 5V1667 but those are the only numbers on the big motor

  3. #3Bluox2017-09-06 20:24

    5V # is a D318 industrial engine. bob

  4. #4Brent Irwin2017-09-06 20:40

    Thanks Bob, I was more curious about the pony motor or what manuals I can get to find out more info about the whole machine. The style of pony motor I have is one that I can sit in the seat and start. Every video I have watched is when the pony motor is started from the side of the big motor.

  5. #5Old Magnet2017-09-06 22:10

    Look for manuals covering the 977 20Axxxx model. ebay is the usual source.