Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D31p-17 Drive Sprocket and Track Questions

Flitemedic55 ยท 2013-02-28 15:46

Hi Ya'll.... The track on this D31-17 on the right side does not appear to have a " master pin" as does the L side( clearly marked).as is usual with my fate, when working On something. This unit does not have the "alligator master" The " master pin" has a dimple in it ( so your tool doesn't slip and you don't Mushroom the head while striking it with your lg adjusting tool). I have to laugh, or else I'll go postal!... I've been around and around the track, no dimpled Pin. My question?... Is there any other identifiable characteristics .... Or may I just pick the most agreeable looking pin and drill my Own dimple and use my lg adjusting tool( hammer)... Any suggestions or actual knowledge of above track appreciated Thanks in Advance Toby( The New Guy on this nice Forum)

Replies6
  1. #1JeremiahSr2013-02-28 16:02

    Not sure if you looked at both sides....every once in a while you run across a master pin that only has that dimple on 1 side. If you already looked at both sides and see nothing someone might have short tracked it at 1 time ans installed with a regular pin. The master pins of course are only tight in the pin boss of the rail, not the bushing, a regular pin is not. So to drive 1 of them with a hammer is a tire-ing process...but i have done it several times. To assemble i grind out a little metal in the center of the pin so it is just like a master pin...but even if the person did this to the pin you are working on you could never find it most likely. Alot of people would burn that pin out of each side of rail pin boss, break the track, do what ever repairs you are doing, and install a new master pin. That takes just as long (and cost more) to do than to go to work with a BFH and pin knocker. What are you doing to it anyway?

  2. #2Flitemedic552013-02-28 17:04

    Replacing drive sprocket

  3. #3Flitemedic552013-02-28 17:11

    BTW... I did look at both sides... No luck... The left side has master pin w dimples on both sides...like I said In my initial post... I have that sort if luck I suppose I will do as you suggested and Drill a dimple and get my BFH ... Not looking fwd To this..lol

  4. #4Flitemedic552013-03-01 07:48

    BTW Jeremy .nice website...I'm about 30 miles north of you...

  5. #5JeremiahSr2013-03-01 09:00

    Thanks. Oh really......Conroe? We have been here off the Hardy toll rd since 1983. I have been here since 1995.

  6. #6Flitemedic552013-03-04 17:25

    Jeremy.... Do you happen to know torque specs on drive sprocket bolts On D31P-17?