Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D31P-20 steering

southernman13 ยท 2014-01-28 17:07

Got one it's 1996. Having steering issues. It will steer left and right if you use the joy stick and the foot brake together. I know that's not right so I'm looking for some help. It was steering fine and the next time it won't hardly steer at all. I was watching the little actuaries under the seat that move in and out to make it steer and they're barely moving. The other day it did the same thing when I had the seat off looking into it. I pressure washed everything then I would hit the joystick left and right and as I was doing this I would take a bar and help push the linkage left and right as I operates it and it started working properly. Put it all back together replaced to bad hoses on the blade angle function and now it won't work again. The hydraulic reservoir was low from the hoses leaking and I also had someone rebuild the valve for the 6 way functions. Is it possible theirs air in the system and if so how do I bleed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. S/N is 46628 if needed.

Replies5
  1. #1TwinPines2014-01-29 09:37

    The hydraulics for the blade are seperate from the hydraulic for the steering brakes and clutchs. The dipstick for steering and brakes is located under the seat, it is the dipstick on the left. The dipstick for the tansfer case/bevel gears in on the right. The dipstick in the middle is for the transmission. The actuators moving very little would make me think little pressure from the clutch /brake hydraulics. There is a pressure tap for a gauge but I have yet to find any reference to how much fluid pressure should be applied when the brake or clutch actuators are activated. Hope this help and good luck to you.

  2. #2southernman132014-01-29 10:01

    Dip stick Yes that what it acts like is there isn't enough pressure. When you make reference to the dipsticks is the left the left when sitting in seat or left when u look at them from in front of the seat facing to the rear. Or simpler is it left passenger side or left driver side. Thanks for helping. Also should the levels be check runnig warm or cold or not running wry or cold. Thanks again

  3. #3TwinPines2014-01-29 10:08

    The left/right reference was to as if you were sitting on the machine. So that would would be the driver's side dipstick for the clutch/brake system. The Komatsu book does not specify cold or hot, but it does say wait at least 15 minutes to check the level if the machine has been running.

  4. #4southernman132014-01-29 10:35

    Thanks again. Does your book show any filters other than the one next to the reservoir for the hydraulics.

  5. #5TwinPines2014-01-29 11:02

    Southernman13, When looking at the maint section the only filter is the one by the hydraulic tank for the blade hydraulics. I can't find any reference to other screens or filters. Good luck to you.