Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D31S Final Repairs.

JimInOz ยท 2011-02-16 06:41

Hi All, It's about time I applied myself to fixing the bad R/H Final Drive on my Komatsu D31S-16. I have the parts & repair manuals,so I'm OK there. However,I'm interested in hearing any tips & hints that might make this repair a "did it right first time" repair.I had to import replacement parts from the UK ,so I need a good result,first time. I've fixed a few steering clutches & the odd TD9 gearbox,but never done anything except oil change on a Final Drive. Bearings are NTN brand....are there any brands which are better/best for this application? All advice is appreciated.Thanx.. Jim

Replies2
  1. #1boone2011-02-22 10:25

    Not much help here, but interested in your repair. Looks like your a good way into it. Please keep us posted.

  2. #2JimInOz2011-02-23 16:27

    I've had the machine pulled apart for a while....just waiting on the parts to arrive. The repair manual is typically Japanese...very basic step-by step info,but I'm sure there are tip & tricks that I'm unaware of,that can make this repair better/quicker. Thinking of sourcing bearings from the USA,as local prices are usually over the top. May also need a hydraulic push-pull tool,to fit pinion to steering flange.Local hire place didn't have any... I'm happy to hear from anyone with experience in Final Drive repairs.Thanks.. Jim