On my D4D (78A5667) with the D330 engine, we are experiencing a problem with the engine oil level dropping quite rapidly over the last few days, (8-10 liters in 10 hrs of operation) with no apparent leaks. It has the wet clutch behind the engine, no levels raising in there, transmission level ok, hyd oil ok, so likely no cross flowing going on that I am aware of. We don't have any blue smoke & the unit behaves as usual other than that, so I don't think it is burning it. Is there any other places that I have not thought of where the oil can get leak into or get trapped somewhere & not drain back into the crankcase? Dry everywhere on the ground. Is there a return line to the diesel tank where somehow it could leak back into the fuel system via the injector pump? This one is a puzzler to me. Metalman
How many hours does it have since its last service? There are a few pieces of equipment where I work that are on accelerated service schedules because they start burning oil like crazy when they get close to the service intervals.
No on the return fuel line. Check the steering clutch compartments (normally dry).
Only about 60 Hrs. No blue smoke either.
I can do that. How can the engine oil get back there? A few months back we replaced the brake linings on both sides & I noticed then there was minor leakage from the bevel gear compartment seals only.
Thinking chain reaction sequence contamination with accumulation in the steering clutch compartment. You asked where to check to account for the missing oil, if your not burning it and there are no external leaks there aren't many places it can go without noticing it.
Ant no way going to be in steering clutchs 10L be one hell of a lot, 5L a day up the exhaust yes, but 10 you should see some smoke, lotta smoke actually. Sure its not going into the clutch ?? but then again you will soon notice its oil level as it only holds 10L. Hyds oil 'usually' goes other way into engine. Coolant ok ??? again oil will float on top so pretty visible. and external leaks again pretty obvious ! Exhaust is the most likely, and you don,t always notice it while your in the seat; might have to get someone to watch or video while your working her. They are only 65hp and run fairly clean. Mine is 1965 year, rebuilt most of it except engine in 2008 cheers :drinkup
Tis a bloody good video on youtube under 'D4 and box' of Dave Merrin in the UK working his to her limit :notworthy, those pics of mine roller weighs 6 ton [kg] made mine work abit towing in 2nd gear, drivers 15yr old son !
I had a 78a , I cant remember for sure but I think there was a deep sump with a extra pump or some that could be hiding the oil help me out here Merv it's been a long time
Hiya Shopguy, yeah they have a scavenge pump with a suction line to the rear pan to return oil to the sump when your nose is uphill; but this won,t be his problem ! cheers
Setup like a 3306 ?
Checked today & no oil in the steering clutch compartments except a little that leaks in from the bevel gear compartment.
Nothing in the coolant. I have been checking the clutch & it is not over full, so not going there & the oil is very clear in it. Actually, I worked her about 6 hrs today & it only went down about a 1/2 litre......go figure?? Yeah you are right, the exhaust may look different from a distance away. I asked a guy today working with me & he said he only saw black smoke when she was working though.
same setup as 3304/6 will eat oil if its overfull. Work will do her good, check oil level with engine running, warm oil and machine level. Hopefully shes going good. Check the final drive oils and condition, finals are the Achilles heel on this model D4, later ones had updates to beefier gears
Those old units were meant to run on straight 30wt oil, what are you using?
I checked the final levels this morning & this morning & all looked good & the oil clear.
I am using a multigrade product: Petro Canada, Duron E 15W-40. We use it in lots of other equipment & buy it by the drum, although nothing as old as the D4D. Think that may be a problem?
Could be, how many hours has that engine got? I'd switch to the 30wt and find out.
I can't really venture a guess on the hours, as I have only owned it for about 6 months. The mechanical hour meter has been removed & blanked off. The tractor seems to be a nice working old unit & fairly tight with no leaks. We put new seals in the clutch a while back, new brake bands & new upper arm blade turnbuckles on her. She runs pretty nice now except for this oil consumption issue that just turned up.
loosing that much oil, run your fingers around the inside of the exhaust stack if its going out there it will be wet and greasy black and I agree run straight 30 wt when it warm weather and maybe something lighter if your running her in the winter up there. Your engine was the predecessor to the 3304 but I don't remember if yours had a turbo and a turbo can go thru a lot of oil but you could check that by looking at the inside of the hose between the turbo outlet to engine
No turbo on this one. Yes, checking the inside of the stack is a good idea. Thanks
I checked the inside of the exhaust & it is the normal black, but dry.
that much oil isn't going out there then
Received a reminder today that the old Cat Superior Lubricants (Series 3) SAE 30 is equivalent to a modern SAE 40.
Worked her harder the last couple of days on a grading project & the oil consumption seems more minimal again......cant figure it out?
Hold up on the 30wt to 40wt comment, not sure the source is reliable. Going to try and dig up the specs on the old Superior Lubricants (series 3). Anybody got any literature?
I remember using the Series-3 product in equipment back in in the 70's, but somehow up here it fell off the radar. I would be interested in learning what the difference is from todays lubricants?
Were you working some real steep stuff when it was using so much oil
The Cat series 3 stuff is the old API CD/CF spec. Still around and still recomended for 3600 series and PC engines. Choice of weights for temperature and engine conditions. Doesn't appear to be anything to the 30wt/40wt statement.
Most of the time it was on flat ground.
Well, been doing some more digging on the Cat oil specs. Apparently Cat is now recommending 40wt oil for the old PC engines. Check the "Commercial Oils" section and the "Notice" at the end of that section. Search SEBU6250-19 on the net. Says file is to big to post here.
Ok thanks Old Magnet, will use information to use as a reference....appreciate it.
Maybe this link will work: http://parts.cat.com/cda/files/3244668/7/SEBU6250-19.pdf
Update on this problem, which seems to have righted itself. Still using the same multigrade oil, 15W-40 Diesel oil as before. Suspect the problem may have been some lighter work which caused the excessive usage. Has been fine now for over a year, likely only adding a litre every 40-50 Hrs. now.
I've seen this before , a babied engine using oil. Operate it at full throttle and work it , not excessive but labored as it should be and they will sometime quit using. GM diesels were notorious for this.