Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D330 engine water pump.

Neels ยท 2015-08-07 07:15

Good day. I have a CAT D330 engine with a leaking water pump, turns out I need to replace the shaft of the water pump. Now when I give my part supplier my engine serial no he told me that I have the 3304 engine and it takes a gear pump. No, I have a 330 engine and it takes a belt driven water pump, so it ends up that no one in South Africa can help me with parts for a D330 Cat engine water pump. Can some one please help me with the part # for this shaft. And it is not CAT part no. 2S1488 that is for the 3304 and 955 gear pump. Kind Regards Neels

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies38
  1. #1kshansen2015-08-07 08:24

    Not sure this will be of any help but using the casting number I found this much: https://atrebuilders.com/rebuilt-caterpillar-00410-water-pump.html

  2. #2Nige2015-08-07 09:17

    Is the D330 engine installed in a D4..? It's hard to tell from the photo.

  3. #3Neels2015-08-07 10:05

    Thank you , kshansen for the link and, now for the first time in weeks of searching I have a picture of the my water pump on the internet.THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Even with the casting #, no one in South Africa can link that casting# of the pump to the shaft that needs to go in the pump.All I need is the shaft part# , or were i can get, even in the US. DHL to South Aftica no problem. Thank you , Nige yes I bought the D4 with the engine installed with the serial#78A1955. I have read something that might help. Here is a COPY and PAST from this site. Highdrive, I'm sure you'll find the engine in your 951B is in fact a D330c, it came out in about 1968 and was as you say a very different looking engine to the original D330. The c series engines were around until 1972 when they became the 3304 and 3306 respectively. In the case of the 951 the introduction of the 3304 coincided with it becoming the 951C at serial 86J1992. As tct said the easiest way to tell the c series from the later 33xx series is the water pump and the c series engines were still fitted with canister type oil filters as opposed to the spin on one on the 33xx engines (though the c series introduced the spin on fuel filter...I've often wondered why they didn't do the same for the oil filter??). Finally, there's one other surefire way to tell..the D prefix engines shared the same serial number as the machine. When the 3 series came along the engines got individual serial numbers.

  4. #4catfxr2015-08-07 11:02

    D330 Good morning All, I have attached a print from my archives, the 2S1488 shaft is still available, 419-4712 is the rebuild kit and 4S8043 is the gasket kit. This is based on the S/N you posted - hope it helps and have a good day.

  5. #5Neels2015-08-07 11:26

    Thank You catfxr. You are the best. Yes the 2S1488 shaft is still available but is not the right shaft for my pump. BUT, the Attachment you sent is exactly my pump THANK YOU. Can you PLEASE send me that same attachment just is a better quality to read all the part no? Kind Regards

  6. #6catfxr2015-08-07 11:36

    That's about as good as the scan is going to get - a lot of miles on it. Let me know what parts you want, or print the PDF and mark what you need and re-scan it then post it and I can get you the numbers. Sorry about the part - I was looking at the wrong numbers in the post

  7. #7Neels2015-08-07 13:03

    catfxr. The part # that I would like to see is. Shaft# Seal # Housing # Nut # impeller assem # Water Pump # Thank You very much for all your help.

  8. #8lantraxco2015-08-07 13:41

    9M6061 Shaft 5M9737 Shaft Seal 2L5031 Water Seal 4M9176 Housing 1B4439 Nut 8H9329 Impeller Water pump was not sold complete, no part number. Group number was 9M5801 I used to work parts for a CAT dealer, got pretty good at reading those old books.....

  9. #9Neels2015-08-07 13:52

    Thank you lantraxco. Let me see what I can do with this part no here is South Africa. What is a group number? Is it all the parts put together to make up a complete pump? Regards Neels

  10. #10lantraxco2015-08-07 14:07

    Right, it's Mother CAT's reference number for that group of parts, if you look at the bottom of that drawing you will see it says: "WATER PUMP (9M5801 N/S)" the N/S means Not Serviced which means you can't buy it complete only separate parts.

  11. #11lantraxco2015-08-07 14:13

    Oops, missed one, the rear grease seal is 5F2422

  12. #12catfxr2015-08-07 14:17

    So here's what we have - the shaft 9M-6061, the seal for the front and backside of the shaft - one of each 5H-6012 and 5M-9737, the housing is 4M-9176, nut 2D-9238, washer 6F-7048, impeller 8H-9329 and the complete pump assembly is 2S-4697 which can only be ordered as separate pieces.. Hope this helps you and have a good weekend.

  13. #13Neels2015-08-07 14:20

    Thank you for all the info, lantraxco. Now I can start my search here in SA. But have a feeling it will end up ordering the parts from the US . Regards Neels

  14. #14Neels2015-08-07 14:23

    Thanks catfxr. Have a good weekend.

  15. #15Nige2015-08-07 14:28

    For "obscure" parts like these ones your best bet in the US would likely be Offroad Equipment - www.offroadeq.com/ - however you have to register to see their prices and availablility and unfortunately for you it has to be from a computer working from an IP in the USA. Maybe one of our US-based members can help you..? I checked the shaft and they have both used and aftermarket available but not a genuine OEM one.

  16. #16lantraxco2015-08-07 14:37

    You can use www.machinerytrader.com and see part listings in the US and International, I checked the shaft and impeller, they both showed up in lots of places including Israel and Italy. http://www.machinerytrader.com/Default.aspx#PartsSearchTag

  17. #17Old Magnet2015-08-07 16:39

    Well, looks like I missed all the fun on this one. Hopefully here is a clearer image.

  18. #18lantraxco2015-08-07 16:46

    OM, obviously someone has followed better greasy hand discipline with your book!

  19. #19old-iron-habit2015-08-07 19:16

    I to have noticed that here and on other forums. OM has great quality books and takes very good care of them. Its obvious he knows better than to let them out of his sight.

  20. #20Old Magnet2015-08-07 20:12

    It's not just the books. I find I have to run most diagrams through the enhancement feature to lighten or darken and improve the contrast. Kind of time consuming but once done I file them away in the enhanced version for the next time.

  21. #21Neels2015-08-08 11:59

    Thank You. Old Magnet for helping me with a clear picture. Monday is now a public holiday here is SA so it looks like all of the suppliers closed shop for the long weekend. I can only start phone around on Tuesday to see if I can get the most imported part, the shaft here is SA. Regards

  22. #22kshansen2015-08-08 13:42

    Old Magnet, What feature/program do you use? When I try to clean up scans the usually come out as bad or worse than catfxr's was.

  23. #23Old Magnet2015-08-08 14:27

    It's an older version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. Has worked well for quite a few years. Neels, The 9M6061 shaft is also listed as part number 4M9150.

  24. #24Neels2015-08-13 10:19

    Good Day. I am back for some much needed advice please. The fan that is on my D4 with the 330 engine is blowing the air over the engine. Now I would like to buy a new fan but,Cat South Africa told me that the fan must blow the air from the engine. :shf Can some please spread some light on this subject for me please? And also with a part # for the fan if possible please. Kind Regards

  25. #25Nige2015-08-13 12:35

    Unless something was done differently with your tractor, all tractor fans that I am aware of suck air from the engine comaprtment and push it out through the radiator towards the blade. This is to prevent dust from the material that is being dozed being sucked into the engine compartment and therefore the air cleaner. I'm sure one of our experts for older equipment like yours will be along soon with a Part Number.

  26. #26Neels2015-08-13 14:22

    Thank you nige. Well I bought the D4 with that fan blowing over the engine, it is working fine and it never over heated.I'm trying to fit as many original parts possible on the dozer as i can when something breaks down. Regards

  27. #27Old Magnet2015-08-13 14:46

    The 78Axxxx normally came with a suction fan (Spider assy. 9H9766) A blower fan was offered as an attachment (Spider assy. 9H9828) and used a couple of different fan guard configurations. Four and six blade reversible fans and guards were also offered as attachments. A blower fan is recommended for bull dozers.

  28. #28Neels2015-08-13 15:06

    Thanks Old Magnet. Let me see what I can do with this part #. Regards

  29. #29Metalman 552015-08-13 16:08

    Actually in the North here when operating machines without a cab, we sometimes switch the fan during the winter months. If the sides are tarped in & the front grill partially blocked it is quite comfortable in the cold weather. My D6C has a reversible fan on it & we switch it back & forth to suit the seasons.

  30. #30Nige2015-08-13 17:49

    For somewhere like South Africa where the climate is dry & dusty (judging by the photo posted by the OP) I would have thought a pusher fan would be the best way to go. It would keep dust out of the engine bay to a great extent. It's not even as if you need to keep the operator warm in winter - the sun will do that ....

  31. #31Metalman 552015-08-13 18:00

    This is when the sucker fan comes in handy! http://youtu.be/Uv2QEHC3h-g

  32. #32Nige2015-08-13 18:19

    The only good place for snow is on a Xmas card IMHO ........

  33. #33scollins942015-08-26 08:41

    Nige, we have an export partner here in Knoxville called ExpoQuip www.expoquip.com that can purchase from us (Off Road Equipment Parts) and ship to non-US based shipping addresses.

  34. #34Jerryvado2016-02-05 08:57

    Hello. I am trying to get a complete water pump even housing 4M9176 and the pulley. Anybody know where can I get it.

  35. #35kshansen2016-02-05 10:12

    Would help to know what this pump is used on, Model and Service Number? Also just as a chance look at this forum thread: HeavyEquipmentForums

  36. #36Jerryvado2016-02-08 10:22

    water pum This is a Equipment Serie 78A301 from 1972 model

  37. #37Old Magnet2016-02-08 13:43

    You have an early style water pump that is no longer available as a complete assembly, just individual parts. The later style may still be available as a complete assembly or as parts.

  38. #38Jerryvado2016-02-08 16:04

    Water pump Reply. Thank you for your share but I must need get the complete water pump or in parts whatever maintly the housing and pulley. Do you know where can I get it new or rebuilt.?