Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850 C transmission brake leak and hours service of friction plates?

mx_599 ยท 2015-08-07 00:56

Hello everyone! Just wondering if I could get some advice. I have major brake fluid leak, I believe, at the brake cylinder. For reference, the part I am referring to is the brake cylinders mounted on the covers that house the friction brake plates. They have a rubber boot and a lever arm with adjusting bolt above them. Okay, so I set the stage. I think the leak is the seal and/or o-ring below the boot. My master cylinder does not even hold fluid very long until it is drained. So, if I need to get this area all clean anyway...should I consider changing the friction brake plates? Do these last a real long time? I am closing in on 3000 hours for machine and I do believe this is accurate. When the brakes do work with topped off fluid, they seem like they work correctly. 1) I am thinking this could be a dirt cheap fix of an o-ring and seal or an expensive brake job. I think I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill and should probably keep it simple. I just hate going through a lot of work for an o-ring if I should just do full brakes while I am there. Although, it might not be too bad to do those seal/o-ring only and leave at that. 2) What fluid do I use? I get mixed stories. The dozer is new to me...but I think someone used DOT fluid. Isn't that bad on these? Should I be flushing it and replacing with hytran? What does everyone use? Thanks!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2015-08-07 01:22

    At only 3000 hrs the brakes should still be like new - if the machine has been mainly steered using the hi/low levers...... The oring in the slave cyls is just that & can be pulled out of a good oring kit. The oil to use in the master cyls is plain old mineral hydraulic oil. If brake fluid has been used, the neutralizers in the transmission control valve will need resealing also.

  2. #2mx_5992015-08-07 01:53

    thanks for the help! Neutralizers? Will I see it called this if I look in service manual? I am just looking at parts diagram and not sure which part? Is it possible I could be lucky and just flush with new fluid and not need to do neutralizers in the trans control valve? Lastly, mineral hydraulic oil as in the same stuff used in the main hydraulic system? Why does everyone think they are supposed to use DOT? Why didn't Case just design for DOT?

  3. #3alrman2015-08-07 02:18

    Neutralizer seals are in pic below #14 #20 #22 Possibly could be lucky.... Yes hydraulic oil Up to 850B used Dot3 then they changed to hyd oil - better as is doesn't absorb moisture like dot3 ..... plus it keeps everyone guessing

  4. #4mx_5992015-08-07 10:55

    Thanks! You're awesome! Yes, I have 1982 850C LGP with cab. It has a turbo...but I am pretty sure it was on the cusp of '82-'83. Actually this is my dozer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zuFJ30tSgA it was an ad that was used to help sell it. I am not in the business, more like a hobby and for a motocross track. However, I fell in love my dozer and plan to slowly redo anything that needs fixing. It's actually in pretty good condition with about 2700 hours when I bought it last year. I do not believe it was tampered with. So were there some 4 cylinder engines that got the turbo? I am pretty sure mine is turbo and all stock. I have some cool future plans Ever see the movie Maximum Overdrive from the 80's? Things I have planned: quality paint job and decals fix up cab and install radio and some sound deadening etc (modernize) LED lights Maybe some red lights like mean sinister eyes! possibly some type of welded design mouth on the blade if I do not think it would screw up function too bad considering paint all cylinders black and gold nitride rods (this will be costly...the nitride part anyhow)