Would the heads off a D7 sn 17a14000 (pretty close to this number) fit on a D7E 48A early one. Maybe 1965
Best way is to check part #s
Both motors should be D339 , I understand that motor goes back further into T3 and T4 , rather hoping it does anyhow , I picked up two heads yesterday off a T4D7 for my D7D . You may be spoilt for choice as there are two types , one cast iron and the other cast steel . I did notice the steel ones on a T4 I looked at did not hold its paint the same as the cast iron . They better fit , traveled 440 km and carried them 25 meters , very heavy
Alex , are you referring to 3T and 4T D7 models? The 4T model is quite rare, it was only built in small numbers for the U.S. Navy. Never knew about a cast steel head for the D339, why would Cat made a cylinder head out of cast steel? Rustyfender , find a part number on the head and I can look up the Cat NPR and it will tell us exactly what machines it fits.
4T 3575 , there is still green paint showing in places . I could see as soon as I was told it was steel there was a difference . There was a number stamped on the right side of the block at the rear and just below the head . 2F9053 4160 , What was in between the groups of numbers I could not tell , may have been an H
That's a rare WW2 survivor. I made an error, sorry, it was the 6T that was the U.S. Navy version - the 4T was the standard military tractor set up with the LeTourneau cable control (PCU) and LeT WK7 blade. The 4T was essentially the same as the 3T, but just built for that specific U.S. military order, with those attachments. I think there were quite a few thousand built. The D7 3T, 4T and 6T used the D8800 engine. The D7 17A was released in 1955 with the all-new D339 engine, it was the same bore and stroke as the D8800, but it was an all-new engine. The D339 carried over into the D7E with major upgrades in HP and some design changes. I STR the heads were changed in design at some stage.
Do you know if the heads from the D8800 and the D339 are interchangeable , I was expecting to see push rod tubes on it but the rods are inclosed like my D17A
No, they're not interchangeable. The D339 was an all-new design engine. Liners and pistons are probably about the only thing interchangeable.
OK , thats a pity . Thanks for that
will the heads from a D7 17A fit on a D7E 48A, both D339 engines
Where can I get a rebuild kit for a d339? D7E cat dozer.
Where's a rebuild kit for a d339?
I doubt you'll find a rebuild kit these days. Not too many of those old girls left. Unless @D6 Merv has any ideas I reckon the appropriate Parts Manual for your tractor Serial Number and start searching online for all the individual parts is likely to be your only option.
That's what I'm running into, I was hoping you may have known. Thanks